Front and Rear Shock Replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Homar

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hello everyone, it is time once again for me to replace the front and rear shocks on my 2004 FWD XLT. So I would welcome any information and/or opinions as to what shocks may be best suited for my truck which spends at least a third of its life off road. Also, since I often pull a lightweight trailer and about 2000 lbs. of load, has anyone had any experiences with air shocks for the rear or otherwise beefing up the rear suspension? I don't want the rear of the truck sticking way up in the air, but would like to strengthen it a bit. Further, has anyone here done anything to increase the load bearing capacity of their rear springs? Thanks.

I put in air lift in rear for hauling my trailer, there hard to find now, adjustable air in cab is nice, i had sag with trailer and was bouncy, made a huge difference and it will take a heavy load. it will lift a inch if ya leave air in but i run 40 lb around with no load and its level and 50 to 80 depending on weight. i have used add a leaf on other vehicles and was cheaper and worked but your just stiffing the center of springs, air bags keeps ya out of springs and pushes weight up from axle.

I might point out that looking at my set up i would think it would not be to hard to add air bags from other trucks if ya can not find trac specific, they come with the plate but might have to fabricate a little but they work the same just bolt up different.

Thanks Curtis, yeah, I guess an air bag system from another truck could be converted over...I have also heard that Fox shocks are good for a vehicle that spends some time off road. Also, thank you swshawaii for the link but it doesn't seem to be available anymore...or at least that is what that site indicated when I clicked on the link. But I seem to have a larger problem now. The rear chassis cross member (behind the spare tire) has rotted out and the replacement part which used to be available (Ford part no. 3L2Z-5K007-AA) is now discontinued. Living in the northeast (upstate New York) subjects the truck to all that salt thrown down on the roads when it snows. Only solution I can think of is to try some southeast (think Florida) auto salvage yards to try and get a used cross member in decent condition. Any thoughts?

@Andrew Homar

Sorry about the dead link. It was for the Monroe 58617 REAR load adjusting spring assisted shocks discussed widely on EF. If your rear frame cross member is compromised they probably would not work for you anyway. Just a suggestion because they are more than a Band-Aid for sagging or weak leafs like add-a-leafs are, and many have used them for heavier rear loads and towing with success. May want to research them if you get your rear frame issue fixed. Good luck!

Hey swshawaii, I researched the Monroe 58617 REAR load adjusting spring assisted shocks and ordered a pair, seems like just what I was looking for, so thanks for the suggestion. On my truck it is not the main rear cross member that is rusted through on one side, it is a sub-member to which the charcoal canister/boxes are attached for the evaporative loss system located just behind the spare tire under the truck bed. The rear shocks pass through the sub-member and attach above. So I am going to shave the rivets and take out the sub-member to see if i can repair/weld or otherwise fabricate the sub-member and reinstall it. The sub-member used to be an available part but has been discontinued. Otherwise my rear suspension is fine, just time for new shocks and vertical links after years of good service. This has been a working truck, not just a commuter. Great vehicle.

Well, at first glance, what I originally thought was a "sub-frame" was actually the brackets holding the charcoal boxes in place under the truck bed and the rear chassis cross member is indeed compromised by rust as swshawaii suggested might be the case. So I have purchased replacement vertical links and a pair of Monroe 58617 REAR load adjusting spring assisted shocks and am currently trying to find a replacement rear chassis cross member to complete the overall repair. If anyone has any leads through which to source out the now discontinued rear chassis cross member (Ford part no. 3L2Z-5K007-AA) I would appreciate hearing from them. Thanks all.

Latest posts