Front Diff Maintenance.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry Suarez

Reaction score
Why!!!!!!!!Did Ford not put a drain plug on the front diff. of the Gen2 AWD's. I was changing fluids today and ran into this problem. I did the rear and transfer case with no problem, however the front only has a fill plug but no drain plug. Or did I miss it? Now I have to go and buy the gasket and turn a twenty minute job into a two hour job. Sorry....Needed to vent!!!

CopSTA, you're not alone. I did the service on mine about 3 months ago BUT was well prepared to "crack' open the front diff. Even though I was prepared, it didnt make the job easier. I found removing a few of the bolts more difficult (due to location) scraping off the old gasket, then properly resealing with a new gasket/torquing the bolts to factory spec. The silver lining, it's less frequent than oil changes, thank god!

Have gone through this with my 2001. Used a vacuum pump and drew out all I could through the filler plug hole. Used a small diameter plastic tube on the end of the pump and bent it down. Did not get all but did it two times during oil changes and was satisfied that enough old stuff was drawn out. Did another oil swap on a road trip, 2,200 miles. The front axle seal leaked so used a pump/squirt oil can with diff fluid and at every fuel stop, removed the fill plug, topped out the front diff and did another 400 miles. The fluid did get changed and the under carriage was well sealed with a coating of fluid.

Go to Advance or harbor tool and buy the 7-11 buck hand pump...... Works wonders.

ALSO, On my Gen 1 when I changed the gears I welded a bung on the diff and installed a drain plug.

ON my gen2 ( MESSY as hell) I drilled the case with the fluid in it as to not allow shavings in it, Let it drain and Tapped the case with a tap and installed a NPT plug.

Todd Z

Valvoline Qwicky Lube, they do it with an electric suction pump for $59.99 while I sit in the Trac reading my newspaper and drinking coffee. :supercool: For as often as you need to do it it's not worth the hassle of doing it myself. I do the front every 50k, twice so far. I do the rear and the transfer case myself every 30k.

Latest posts