Front diff vent hose leaking for a long time? Front end growl when coasting at high speeds, relate?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Not sure but here are 2 pics of what I believe is the vent hose for the front diff in the center of the pic:

[Broken External Image]:

The hose with the white cap had a ton of goup and fluid dripping and down the frame. I just notice it this evening but can't really crawl on the ground to verify. However, it some of it was fresh but most appeared to be on the hose and frame for a while. One thing I've noticed is a growl at high speeds when takinig the foot off the accelerator. Trans fluid is fine and clean. Maybe tires?? Im puzzled if the 2 are related or not.....

Can anyone tell me how I can check the front differential fuild and how full should it be? Maybe any other opinions at what this hose with a white vent cap could be???

Big Al

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a fill plug on the side of the front diff.......

There was also a TSB on this.... There is a special cover with a special baffle in it that can be installed.... I Had mine done at about 5 K miles from new...

The front diff plug is on the Drivers side of the diff and uses a regular 3/8 ratchet to open it...

Todd Z

Here is a pic of us filling mine...

[Broken External Image]:

Cool. I did find the TSB 05-6-20 online. Is there a chance no fluid is in the diff? Also how much fluid does it take? Im assuming 80w90 axle fluid?

Also what/how did you get the fluid in? Is that a special tool or something I can buy from an autoparts store?

Check in your user manual for the proper type of fluid to put in your diff. If you have fluid coming out of tthe vent you may have a problem. It should not be dripping out all of the time. Once in a while is fine.

You check the level by taking out the fill plug and sticking your finger in it. It should be only as high as that plug.

Depending on how many miles you have on your truck. I would recomend pulling off the diff plate and clean and change out the oil. Check inside, you may have some plugging or excessive metal shavings.

And don't use the vent tube to fill the diff up. You can put to much fluid in it and its not on there for that reason.

58k miles. I haven't checked the manual yet but I'm hearing a growl at high speeds. my fear is the growl means no fluid and is toast. I haven't noticed any drivability concerns other than the growl.....

58k miles. I haven't checked the manual yet but I'm hearing a growl at high speeds. my fear is the growl means no fluid and is toast. I haven't noticed any drivability concerns other than the growl.....

My 2007 ST is in the shop now (its under warrenty) getting the front diff rebuilt because the pinion nut was loose and the front drive shaft was jumping around sending me a moris code message. HA HA

I'm not sure how far your knowledge goes. So please forgive me for the way I explain things. I just want to help as much as I can.

If this was me. I would first get the front end in the air and get up under it. Check your drive shaft and each side of the axle. Make sure nothing is loose. Axles may have a little bit of play. Turn the wheels and listen. Do the same on the rear end also. You may just be right and its dry.

At 58K you need to change the oil anyways, front and rear. And I would put a synthetic oil back in it. It will help. Also get the vent tubes off and clean them out. Just check the the manual for the correct type and weight.

But it could not be the diffs. You may have bad wheel bearings. Or your tires could be cupped and there singing to you. I would have to have more info in order to really help.

I just hope that I sent you in the right direction.

I really appreciate all the help you've given me. I'm about to check the level now then pick up some lube. I did change the rear at 40K mostly because of the silicone seal was leaking. But Im ready to get the hands dirty :) !!!!

Awesome, I would be working on mine if I didn't have the warranty. I'd rather do it myself.

By the way I'm from mid west Michigan near Muskegon. I'll be up that way sometime in the next few months. Maybe we can get a meet going. Get everybody together and do some two tracking or something.

On the Gen1 ST you must remove the whole differential assembly to change the cover or remove it....

You can check the fluid and add as needed, But if it continue to leaks and the cover needs to be changed, it is a bit of a job..

Todd Z