front differential fluid leaking at CV?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Harrer

Reaction score
I was under the trac tonight looking at the torsion bolts for a lift im going to do soon, and noticed it looks like fluid is being slung in 360 degrees at the point where the CV meets the front differential (passenger side). where do i check the fluid for this? its a dark oily substance, but not motor oil. is it a seal that needs replaced between the CV and diff?

I just had this happen on my 04. Except mine looked to have been leaking either from the axle or higher up. I took it to Ford to figure it out. It ended up being on the driver side where the CV axle meets the diff. They charged me $145 to fix the problem.

I was kind of pissed after finding this out, mainly because just prior a couple months ago, I had just had Ford change all the good fluids: transmission, transfer case, front and rear diff. Often wonder if they saw it was leaking before hand.

Ok, did they tell u exactly what they fixed? Also, where do I check/add fluid? I thought I read somewhere before you fill it through a speedo hose, and exactly what fluid do I use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure to check the CV joint boot for any cracks, as they are packed with grease and will sling grease in a 360 degree arch. Even if the fluid is not from the CV joint, it may be damaging to to rubber on the CV boot.

...Rich

Latest posts