Front Differential Seal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Bosin

Reaction score
I went for a cruise along the beach for about 5 miles, the next moring I noticed an oil drip in the driveway. Upon further investigation I saw quite a bit of gear oil out of the front diff. It definately looks like it is coming out of the bearing seal. I checked the level through the inspection plug and it was pouring out. Is it over full? Is this a difficult repair? Anyone done this?:huh:

No, I stay out of the salt water. I was running it in 4wd in the loose sand. It is definately leaking gear oil out. I just want to know how much of a job it is to replace the seal or seal/bearing combination? What tools would I need?

other than normal wrenches to remove the driveline and yoke you will need a seal puller and possibly a seal installer, most auto parts stores will rent or loan tools for the job now days.

Good Luck!

tracnyak

If you do it your self just be careful when you retorque the pinon nut to lose and you do the bearing in to tight and you burn it up. If you dont now how and have the tools find someone that dose to help good luck. Bill

I've done a lot of my own work in the past and have learned from my mistakes. When it comes to my Trac I'm not so daring. I've never worked on differentials. Thanks for the insight.

Seems like I've seen a TSB about gear oil leaking from the front differential.......Check the TSB's and see if it might pertain to your trac.:)

Gary

I looked on my Ford maintenance CD and found the following TSB:

03-05-08 Axle - Front axle leaks fluid from vent tube - vehicles equipped with 4X4 or AWD.

This is due to overfill at the factory. If you just pull the inspection plug and let the excess fluid drain out, you should find that your fluid leak will disappear, if this is indeed your problem, which in all probability it is, due to your overfull front differential.

Gary:)

Yeah, mine did the same thing, IT was over filled, and since i told the dealer i use the 4wd they installed a special new front cover that has special baffles to help keep the fluid off the vent..

Todd Z

It definately seemed overfull. I did have the front wheels on ramps since I was changing my oil at the time. At first I thought it was tipped back but even so it was gushing out when I removed the inspection plug. Then I got the old bath down the arm when I was putting the plug back in. Man I hate the smell of gear oil.:angry:

Thanks for the TSB info. Unfortunately my warranty is expired.

I had a 2002 Ranger before, same front end, diff seals on both sides leaked early on at different times and were replaced on warranty. No problems so far with the ST.

Latest posts