Front end grinding when turning deep

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel Bell

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Need advice on what, where and how to look for the following: 2004 4x2 ST

In a parking lot, FWD slow speed when turning deep to left or right (more left I think),

there is a grinding sound like the tire is coming in contact with the finder wheel well.

Most scraping sound is right before max turn on the steering.

Looking on both sides, front & rear or wheel well. No scrape marking from either tire is evident.

NOTE: Last summer, I thought that maybe a wheel bearing was binding so I swapped all 4 out on the front.

Any ideas?

Check and grease your steering bump stops.

It worked for me. (Thanks to Todd Z and Eddie) :banana:

[Broken External Image]:

Also grease the crescent shaped part, next to the lower ball joints.

These are not lubricated and appear to be very dry.

Avoid getting excess grease on the brake rotors.

(Photo from Explorer Forum)

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on what size tire/rim combo you're rubbing on either the front bumper on the bottomor on the cladding /inner fender on the back of the tire. On this picture, The cladding and the inner fender as weel as the front bumper are main areas for rubbing on the 1st Gen Sport Trac's. I did alot of trimming and cutting when I went to the 285's I'm now running. I know it looks like there's tons of room in there in the picture but when you turn the tires the outer edge catches them cladding and front bumper just before ful turn especially on bumps. This picture is before the lift and with the 265's on it.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not an aggressive tire and I never had rub issues with the stock 255's on mine. Like Steve said check the bump stops on the spindles and the backs of the rims to see if their rubbed or shiny at all. From what you describe though it sounds like your rubbing against the cladding (I don't see how with the 255/70/16 LTX's). Someone else will chyme in and maybe they have another possible culprit.

I have almost the same sound, but just realized my is coming from the back, thought it was the front. Still have not figured out what the sound is, keep us informed as to what you find :O)

I’m having the same noise. It is caused by the tire contacting the plastic inner fender liner. Easiest fix is to locate where it’s rubbing and cut away the offending part. They get brittle with age and don’t stay put where they should.

Latest posts