front end links

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I'll just go ahead and fess up to being a bit of a noob to some aspects of tinkering around on my Trac. I can usually find my way around, but am a little hesitant when it comes to parts of the vehicle I've had little experience with.

I just bought new Rancho shocks to go on my 03 XLT 4WD, and will be picking up a rear sway bar as soon as I get a little more overtime at work. I've also noticed people mention replacing the front end links as an additional, and somewhat cheap, upgrade. While I've found projects for the shocks & sway bar, I haven't found any info on how to replace the front end links.

Anyone willing to lend a hand? Thanks---Mario

I just jacked up one side unbolt the stock endlink and then replace with the new endlinks. took about 30 mins. Just put it in like the stock endlink, just be sure not to over tighten the nut on the bolt. If you see the bushing (rubber stopper piece) start to compress loosen it up.

I'm going to do this too. I actually went to AutoZone last week on my day off to pick them up and they had none, and said they had no part numbers or anything so I'm ordering mine online. I thought someone had some pictures pointing out what it looked like before and after the change with a short write up...maybe I saw that some where else but I thought it was on here.

Cottonwood,

The AutoZone you went to is giving you B.S. My suggestion is to go to a different AutoZone, and tell them that you want front end links for a Ford Exolorer Sport Trac, and do not mention MOOG because they do not know that the MOOG front end links are in their box.

I just bought the MOOG links from Amazon for $14.44 each...seemed to be the cheapest I saw, plus no tax or shipping. I love Amazon sometimes!!

I'll also probably get the ES upgraded bushings from Advance Auto. They're near my house and seemed to be pretty inexpensive.

Thanks for the input, and still welcome any other thoughts or advice for working on the links, shocks and/or the sway bar.

Waiting for mine to come from amazon to install. One member on here suggested just turning the tires and you should be able to reach one at a time without having the lift the truck. I might try this first.

Went out and snapped a photo of one of my moog end-links so you can see what it looks like assembled.

[Broken External Image]:

I installed mine, not jacked up. If you do jack it up. Just alittle in the center of the K-frame. If you jack one side. It will load the bar and be harder to install.

Hey Mario you got a link or part # where you found the one on Amazon? I looked all I found were bushing.

Sam- Moog K7275 "Problem Solver" Kits. (2 Needed)

Benefit of using the MOOG links is their stronger 7/16" bolts,

Energy Suspension and other manufacturers use 3/8" bolts.

Silver- Tighten until bushings are slightly bulging. (overtightened pics below)

Torque specs for bushings inaccurate. (Use Clusterpup's pic for reference)

VERY important all wheels are fully "loaded" when installing. (See the ES web site)

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:
lb. (Failed)

Last edited by a moderator:
So I went to Autozone and told them I needed front end links for my Sport Trac, they had nothing and no numbers to order anything...being a small town its the only one here. If Checker has the front end links will they be the moog ones? I was going to just order from amazon but it wont arrive until Tuesday, and I really wanted to do this job on monday since I have the day off.

I've had a rattle in the front end when going over minor bumps. My neighbor did too on his GMC Jimmy. I helped him replace his end links yesterday. The rattle went away. When we were all done, I hopped online and ordered the Moog kits from Amazon.