Front Sway Bar Squeaking? Check Yer Lubricant (Photo Intensive)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A K

Reaction score
Does your front swaybar sound like this?

http://www.kachurak.com/squeak.wmv

Probably not. But it may squeak. Check to see if it's lubricated.

I installed the Addco 737 last week and used only white lithium grease on the polyurethane bushings (and probably not enough after adjusting the bushings when installing the bar). Stupid move. So, I made a special trip from Philly to my folks' (can't do this in the apartment garage) to redo my handiwork from last week.

The bar squealed because I literally had no grease left. Plus the stuff is too thin anyway (per Todd Z :D). And, I ran out of powdercoating, too. (Woah. So that's why it made that horrendous noise whenever the front suspension extended or compressed.)

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Most of the powdercoating was stuck to the polyurethane bushings. Using a wire sponge and wire toothbrush, I cleaned almost all of it off.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I then sanded down the raw areas of the sway bar so that I wouldn't have any more powdercoating stuck in the lubricant. What about the rust? I'm counting on the lubricant that is trapped under the bushings to keep the exposed metal covered--which it should. See below.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

And then I put on Poly Eaze, which is a re-labeled tub of Energy Suspension Polyurethane Lubricant (8 oz.). The stuff is insanely sticky, but insanely smooth. It sticks to anything and everything. Hence, I used plastic gloves.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I wasn't at all stingy.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

The reinstall of the bar was easier than easy. Last week's install must have bent the brackets to the perfect shape. So, bolted rear then front on each side and tightened to about 25 ft/lbs (10-15 less than last time--they're tight, and the decrease should keep the bushing a little less tight and more of the lubricant where it belongs).

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I suppose a second lesson from this is to do it right the first time so you don't have to redo it a second time. I also used the lubricant on the endlink bushings--and in the same amount. Here's to no more squeals, frightened children and angry stares from joggers.

And--if anyone wants some of this lubricant, I'd be happy to start a pass-along. I'll send you the tub, you use it, and send it to the next person who needs it. There's a lot in it. Just make sure I get it back with enough left to do this one more--if I need to. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with everything all have said. I used Red Line Assembly Lube on all my bushings

and have never had a squeak. The Red Line lube so far has never washed out, 4 years after application on my ST including fording streams, mud holes and running through the surf at Assateague Island.

John

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts