Frustrating accident

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Keller

Reaction score
We were involved in a minor fender bender on our way home tonight. It was rush hour traffic so it was slow stop and go speed. I put the brakes on and the ST started to speed up. I had both feet on the brakes and the ST kept on going. It finally stopped by bumping the car in front of us. We could see no damage to either car (not even a paint chip). We had complete new brakes installed approx. 1000 miles ago. I have heard of people on here with similar probs. Naturally the brakes worked just fine the rest of the way home. I will take the ST back to the tire dealer that did the brake job, but this feels more like a tranny prob. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks...

Hmm, just read about this happening to an 04 F150 at the link below

I doubt this would be a transmission problem if you had your feet on the brake. Was the engine reved up?

Sounds like your brakes failed. Did you try pumping the brakes?

DejuVu.

You wouldn't be the first guy to claim to have their foot on the brake but actually have it on the gas. It's called operator error, and it happens often and is the most logical, common explanation for what you describe.

TJR

I have had similar experiences when my brake pedal pushed lower to the floor (like needing new brakes or air in the lines). With my fat feet, the side of my shoe was hanging over the edge of the brake pedal and also pressing on the gas pedal. Very disconcerting when you feel the engine try to rev up when you have your foot on the brake. The more you press on the brake, the more you press on the gas.

I had that happen a few times when I was driving in combat boots. The brake and gas pedals are closer than normal to each other, and it is possible to press both the gas and brakes at the same time. I nearly rear-ended a couple of people myself, but was lucky. I'm glad no one was hurt.

Latest posts