Fuel Economy please....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What have you done to you ST to get better economy out of it? I am looking for any aftermarket mods done that got you better fuel economy. What were they? How much did it help? Web site? Cost? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

new exhaust with intake gave an increase. flowmaster40 exhaust with a k&n air intake. i hear the zabteck intake gives the same or better increase as the k&n i just didnt know about zabteck when i got mine. but doing one of the other wont show much difference, they need to be done together. and even the difference isnt huge. 170 for exhaust and 240 for the intake.

430 xcall 3 or used xcals 200 + 150 for tunes

135 true cold air

20 bipass breather

200 for the tb -$65 core charge

200 for the c&l maf

I just did the the following 1. a new tb $200 send old core back for 65 refund 2. true cold air $135 and breather bi pass $20 all from zabtec...3 . I found a used xcal2 this took me a while if you find one make sure it is unlocked and for a sport trac.... if you find one jump all over it or it will be gone... and order some tunes from one of our sponcers the tune i am running ARE 1-87 ECONOMY 2-87 PERFORMANCE TUNE 3 TOWING TUNE

If you want new you can get a NEW xcall 3 comes with 3 tunes ... I have been reseaching this for 3 months... and the only thing i am addd that i have got is the new c&l mas air filter.... 200 from zabtec....This was the best i have found

I am totaly happy gane 4-5 mpg

I have only had the xcall for 2 weeks

Hope this helps

It was the most cost effective i have found

Keith Wallace

Last edited by a moderator:
I have put in a K&N air intake and a tonneau cover (bought my truck without one). Went from 245 miles per take to now just about 300. Plan on getting dynomax exhaust soon and full synthetic oil. I didn't do much but I like the gains. Big one for me was the cover... the wind resistance... sucked.

a tonneau cover doesnt do much for gas milage. if anything it can hurt it because of the added weight. your tailgate being up or down doesn't have much of an effect either. i wouldnt waste your money on a cover for MPG's unless you just want a cover. i love mine but done expect to see and increase in MPG. just the way the air flows in and out of the bed doesnt really have anything to do with tha tailgate

I am renting an Infinity crossover (small SUV) on my Atlanta business trip this next couple of days. It has an instantaneous fuel efficiency monitor with bar graph that changes in real time. The graph is graduated with 10mpg, 20mpg, 30mpg at the top. Stepping on the gas hard puts it in single digit instantaneous mpg. Drafting, coasting, and maintaing a given speed keeps it at 30mpg. The average, running mpg was aroung 16mpg.

So, the single best way to increase mpg is to drive the vehicle like there is a rotton egg behind the gas pedal and a tall cup of ink sitting on the dash. If your ST was equipped as such, stepping down hard on either the gas or the brake would have severe consequences.

People do jackrabbit stops. They keep on the gas only to have to hard brake. If you can always avoid both you can probably increase your mpg by at last 3 to 5 mpg, or more.

TJR

The '07+ with the limited electronics package has a bar graph, too, but it's not exactly accurate.

And whatcha doing here in Atlanta?

Getting a scanguage will do the same thing as those little economy indicators, EXCEPT you can use it in any vehicle you drive that is equipped with OBD-II.

Tom

Dingo,

I am here at least once a month on business. My company is HQed in Duluth. I hold up at the Hampton in Norcross when here.

Will be heading back tomorrow eve.

TJR