Fuel Filter Replacement Tool

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn M

Reaction score
Hello all.

2001 ST job 2. 87,000 miles.

It's been a while since I've been to this website. Got back to it a couple of weeks ago because my engine check light came on. Ended up changing the DFPE sensor, the cracked vacuum line, the PCV, the spark plugs and today the fuel filter. Thanks to all for the great information. Saved me hundreds of dollars. I would have never found that crack in the vacuum line (going to the PCV). Anyway, I've seen a lot of posts on here about how difficult it is to take the old fuel filter off. I tried yesterday with the sissor type tool and failed because it did not really fit the line correctly. So, today I got the right tool. It is Performance tool #W83133. It is made of aluminum so no worries about sparks. Once you get the inner clip released the line will just pull off. It does take a little bit of force. The reason this tool works is that it fits the line so much better than the sissor type. Can say enough about it. First try on both ends and they came off.

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a metal scissor tool but had to modify it to get it to work. Had to grip a 3/8 drill bit with it and run the drill motor to get it up to the 3/8 ths size it was supposed to be. Poor quality casting trim was the problem.

Same kind I bought. Still could not get it to release. Even mechanic had a really tough time and he's changed out hundreds of fuel filters.

I've only had to change one fuel filter in a vehicle in the 26 years I've been driving. I've driven at least 600,000 miles in that time. I know the owner's manual calls for it to be changed, but how many have actually needed to change theirs?

Nelson, it's not usually a matter of "needing to change". If it gets to the point where one needs to change the filter than that would be at the point when it becomes so clogged that fuel flow is degraded. The time to change a filter is at a point before that happens. I changed mine at 30,000 miles and was very suprised at the sludge that was dripping from the inlet side. Now I know you are in the US Airforce. Would you advocate that the USAF could save money by not changing filters on aircraft until such time that they really "needed" to be changed? Many of us have heard....if we maintained cars like the AF maintains planes, they would last forever.

Latest posts