Fuel gauge acting weird ('04 ST)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Crockett

Reaction score
Filled up this morning (~19 gals) on the way into work, but the fuel gauge was very slow to respond. It didn't immediately register a full tank like it normally does, but took 15-20 minutes for the gauge to slowly, gradually, move back up to the full line. (Same station/pump I normally use.) First time it has ever done anything like this. Any ideas why?, or what kind of repair bills I might be looking at?

Thanks!

I am kind of wondering the same thing. My gauge did the same thing once, but every time I have filled up since it has worked flawlessly. Hopefully your problem is just temporary like mine was, but it would be nice to know what was going on.

fuel level sensor in the tank, 3G, it happened in my 04 but luckily I was still under warranty when that happened.

it doesn't hurt anything other than you can't read if you are on a full tank or not..

it's illegal in AZ to run your engine when filling up. my guess is 3Gm had his off, as was mine when it happened to my ST.

if you keep the engine running while you fill, then it'll act just as you witness... this is normal. If you cycle the power via ign switch, then it'll read full immediately...

It isn't just if the engine is left running. If you turn the key to the On position while filling up your tank, you'll have this happen. Don't bother taking it to the dealership. It'll be fine in a day or two.

Had the same thing happen about 3 weeks ago. just thought it was a plunger or somthing stuck. hasn't acted up since. Really low on fuel (light on) when i filled it.

Happened just once before w/ me. While filling up I got inside and used my Xcal to flash to a new tune which required me to fiddle w/ the ignition. Ridiculous thing to do plus I read it's not such a good idea to be jumping in and out of your vehicle while gassing up. After a while though the gauge corrected itself.

I guess I will chime in. My '04 did it once. The key was off. About a year ago. Never did it since..

Happened just once before w/ me. While filling up I got inside and used my Xcal to flash to a new tune which required me to fiddle w/ the ignition. Ridiculous thing to do plus I read it's not such a good idea to be jumping in and out of your vehicle while gassing up. After a while though the gauge corrected itself.

The problem with jumping in and out of a vehicle while fueling is the static that builds up while you are in the vehicle. It is easy to discharge the build up though simply touch the metal part of the door or the side of the vehicle as you get out. This is what happens some of the time if you dont discharge the static build up..............

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b3x-8tj49ac&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b3x-8tj49ac&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts