fuel octane

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith wallace01ST

Reaction score
What is the difference between 87, 89 and 93 octane goes....

I know it is just a difference between of 2 and 5 :lol::lol::lol::p:p;):(

But really is it worth the price increase does it help the trac at all…What type of benefits? This will lead to what type of tune I order when I do my upgrades in bit…

I am looking at a increase of 7.20 per tank it is 12 cents per liter Between 87 and 93 octane fuel…:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko: Getting ready to make an in formed plan of attack

Upgrade will consist of :

1 xcall 2-3 (what type of tune to get the whole meaning of the thread)

2 the throttle body

3 true cold air

4 walker exhaust (possible in March)

Last edited by a moderator:
Octane measures the fuel's resistance to knocking. A higher octane actually burns slower than a lower octane. Knock comes from a combination of compression and timing. More compression and advanced timing increase performance but also increase the likelyhood of knock, therefore you need higher octane fuel.

Just get two tunes, one 87, one 93, you can switch back and forth, detonation will not be an issue.Besides, your 01 actually has better pistons than 02+ (with a little less H.P.) and can take alot more punishment.

i was thinking one for towing and one for play and one for fuel economy... but i am hering i need to specifi the type of gas i want to burn.....

You will not notice a big diff in any of the tunes, if any, get all three, enjoy

Get the tunes for whichever octane you use on a daily basis. In my area(west-central Illinois) I use the 89 w/10% ethanol because it is 10 cents cheaper than the 87 and 20 cents than 93.