Fuel Pump Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Tucker

Reaction score
Hey Guys, havent had too many problems lately, so I've just been hanging around other peoples' posts.

My trac has been having trouble starting lately.

I know, I know do a search.

Well I already know that I need to reset the Fuel Pump switch which is behind the passenger kick panel.

The engine turns but doesn't catch, so to me (an amateur car mechanic) it sounds like the engine is just not getting any fuel.

When I started the truck this morning it started fine. It was whistling a bit, but I thought it was due to cold weather. After 5 mins when I came back out to drive to work, the truck had shut down, and all electrical systems were active. This happened once before while I was driving to the Grocery Store... it just stalled out.

My question is whether or not the fuel pump needs to be replaced. If not, how to I stop this from happening???

Last edited by a moderator:
no.. Someone had suggested it? It seemed to work today...

I read in the Hanes manual that this is done if there has been an impact.

Now that I think of it, someone rear-ended me. Would this be a result of that?

IF the switch actually needs to be reset the switch is bad.....

You could just be pushing it and nothing is really happening....

As far as starting and not catching ?? So the starter is cranking the engine, but it just does not start ??

Try Turning the key on but do not crank the engine.... Do this 3-4 times, THEN start the truck... IF it starts right up I could be the pump or a bad fuel filter...

Obviously the filter is the easiest to do first..

Todd Z

OK Thanks Todd,

And what if the truck doesn't start after that procedure? What could be the issue then?

(Fine time for my truck to start having problems $$$)

I think he means to bypass the switch. i.e., Take it out of the circuit by removing it and using a jumper wire between it's two connections in the circuit. If you still have the same symptoms with the switch removed, then it's not the switch.

Sounds like the way mine was acting when the fuel filter needed changin. I went 120,000 miles on the OEM one..:blink: That thing was a PAIN to get out though.. Dingo and I both tried, it was really on there.. Jeff C eventually ended up getting it off. He even had the steel tool just layin around in his truck, a couple of them actually .. Jeff's quite handy like that..lol :D

[Broken External Image]:

Maintenance people, Maintainance......

Todd Z

haha Ok, thanks for the tips.

I have only had the truck for a year and a bit and I do not know what maintenance has been done before I owned it.

Lesson Learned: Do EVERYTHING when you get the truck and start fresh. Do not trust the previous owner.

Looks like I have a busy weekend ahead. At least its a date with the ST :D I'm hoping the weather is nice.

The early Sport Trac's had a fuel pump that would leak pressure when it sat for a few hours or overnight. That made it difficult to start the first time you turned on the ignition to start the engine. Ususally is would start right up on the second or third attempt, because the pressure had built up enough. It tends to get noticed more in cold weather?

To test this, all you need to do is turn on the ignition key without attempting to start the engine. You may actually hear the fuel pump running for about 10 seconds and it will stop. Turn the key off completely and then turn it on an start the engine. If the engine starts immediately, you have a bad fuel pump and it needs to be replaced. It will only get worse with time. The fuel pump is in the gas tank and you will need to drop the tank to get at it since it goes in from the top of the tank.

If the enigine starts but immediately stalls, then that is probably no a fuel pump issue, but is an IAC (Idle Air Control) valve problem and it needs to be clean, or possibly replaced.

...Rich