Fuel Pump

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter barone03

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what else to look for.

Parked my Sport Trac over night got in the next day and the truck would not start.

Sounded like no fuel to the injectors.

Changed the fuel pump started up drove it for about an hour everything seemed to work well.

Stopped for a bite to eat got back into the truck and the same thing happened.

Outside of the fuel pump is there anything else I need to look for?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Way too many things could be an issue.

You really need to get it hooked up to some equipment to see what you are lacking. It could be spark or fuel. But either have more than a few items that controls those items.

Could be a fuel pump relay, could be the ECM, (not the highest likelihood though), could be the ignition module, crank sensor or cam sensor which control both spark and fuel actually through the ECM..

We need better info to help pinpoint your issue.

TRY pushing your foot almost to the floor and crank the engine...... IF it starts then let us know....

IF not let us know..

Todd Z

there is a little switch with a red button on the firewall (inside cabin) it 's an inertia switch and disables the fuel pump inthe event of an accident, my truck did it after I parked it , it would not start...sometimes the switch goes bad, after replacing the switch never done it since, it is a dealer item

What about fuel filter?

Really, if you think it's a fuel problem, you need to get the fuel pressure checked in the engine bay. If it's low, you've got a problem with delivery, if there is none more then likely an electrical problem ie. relay, sensor, sender, etc.

If your fuel pressure is fine, then you've got bigger problems.

Thanks all,

Looks like I just got a bad new fuel pump.

Replace the pump and so far things look good.Haven't taken it out for a long run yet. Just short trips.

Keeping my fingers crossed cause I'm about to take a 200 mile trip to AC this week end and Hope to give it a real test.

I'll let you all know how things worked out.

Again thanks to all for your help.

Pete

pete,

Are you sure you changed the fuel pump. It is located in the gas tank. You may have changed the fuel filter and thought it was the pump.

The symptoms are very similar to a leaking fuel pump, where the pump leaks into the gas tank and you loose fuel pressure making it hard to start.

The next time it won't start within a few seconds of cranking. Shut off the ignition completely, wait 5 seconds and attempt to restart the engine. If it start right away on the second try, you probably have a leaking fuel pump. If it doesn't start, there can be a lot of things wrong and EFI is usually the last thing you should check. More likely a wiring or ignition problem.

...Rich

Your right Rich,

The pump stopped working last night I traced the electrical harness and found a short.

Replaced the wiring harness to the pump and that took care of the problem.(ran the truck for 120miles with no problems.)

Checked everthing else spark power etc. So if this should happen again that's the first place I'm looking.The wiring hrness.

Again thanks to all on your feed back, helped me out alot.

Regards,

Pete