Fuel Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
Tell me how to get the answer to this question... Please

gas = $3.00 a gal,, 30 gal,,, 450 miles traveled,,, 15mpg. Cost $90.00... What is the fuel cost "per mile"

Thanks.... (my mind is not working today):blink::blink::blink::blink:

If the gas is $3 per gallon, and you are getting 15 miles per gallon, then you are paying for 20 cents per gallon. And, just to double check your math, you can take that 20 cents per gallon and multiply it by 450 miles, and you get $90.

$3 / 15mpg = 20 cents/gallon

20 cents/gallon x 450miles = $90

why:wacko: was that sooooooooooooooo simple?:unsure::blink::huh:

So if I were in the market to buy a diesel and fuel was $3.30 gal,, $99 to fill up,, 30 gal fuel and 600 miles to the tank..... that equals 20 mpg == (3.30/20) totaling .16 cents per mile? RIGHT??:eek: I could go and additional 150 miles for 9 bucks. hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm:cool: This is making my head hurt.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
So if I were in the market to buy a diesel and fuel was $3.30 gal,, $99 to fill up,, 30 gal fuel and 600 miles to the tank..... that equals 20 mpg == (3.30/20) totaling .16 cents per mile? RIGHT?? I could go and additional 150 miles for 9 bucks. hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm This is making my head hurt.

Correct, the diesel would be 16.5 cents/mile.

A recent study found the average American golfer walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study found American golfers drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.

That means, on average, American golfers get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud, doesn't it?