Fuel System Cleaner

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riyoku Delvey

Reaction score
I was wanting some opinions on fuel system cleaners. My truck idles pretty rough, and it has 75,000 miles on it. Wal-mart sales those $5 bottles of fuel system cleaners, so I wanted to know if they work or not?

I don't know about the fuel system cleaners. I've heard, but don't know, that they can release gunk that may be in the lines and pack it in your injectors. ???

Have you cleaned your IAC valve? Check the members projects section, in the Maintenance button you can find ToddZ's IAC valve cleaning project.

Good luck.

Yes they work mostly to what they advertise. Some have their opinions. But if your truck is running rough you probably have other maintenance issues needing to be addressed. You might try doing some of the things listed in the projects on this website.

As far as cleaners, I like Lucas fuel system cleaner. I keep it in my toolbox in the bed and pour in a few ounces every other fill up.

Riyoku, try the IAC cleaning project and also try the Seafoam treatment project. At 75k miles, when was the Fuel Filter changed last? That can cause problems also.;)

I swear by Dura Lube Fuel System Cleaner at $10 a bottle. I try to use it at least every 3rd oil change. As soon as you put it in the tank, idle smooths out.

Other than that, I use a gasoline with high levels of detergency and save the $5 for the bottles of crap.

Chevron Techron has always been rated the best on the market...FORD is even using it in one of there tsbs?? go with that it works..I have has school in oil and fuels and it by far is the best...