Full synthetic oil

Help Support SportTrac.org:

"Risky Bizness"

2nd Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Our 2008 Limited ST has 119k on it. I am considering going to full synthetic Motorcraft oil. The truck has always had synthetic blend, in it since day one.

But with the number of miles on it, was wondering if it would be a help, or if it would even matter. Oil is changed every 5k. It is a 4.0 engine.

Opinions??

Thanx

EddieS'04

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
IMO,, If you have run MC syn-blend, for this many miles. I would stay with it. MC syn-blend is good oil. My Mom's 4.6L 2001 merc, has almost 150K 0n it with MC syn blend. Runs good and motor is smooth and quiet.

"Risky Bizness"

2nd Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
I had a 2010 F150 with a 5.4. Cam phasers went out. The truck had always had the syn-blend in it, and the engine was pristine.

Was just looking at it maybe being "slicker". Guess, if it ain'y broke, don't try to fix it. Will just leave it alone.

Thanx, all for your input.

Ed Fenwick

1st Gen Owner
Reaction score
Again, if it is not using any oil, either is good oil but stay away from high mileage oils. I put it in mine once and that was the only time that it used any between changes. 159K so far.
Ed

Dmiranda1269

Reaction score
Our 2008 Limited ST has 119k on it. I am considering going to full synthetic Motorcraft oil. The truck has always had synthetic blend, in it since day one.

But with the number of miles on it, was wondering if it would be a help, or if it would even matter. Oil is changed every 5k. It is a 4.0 engine.

Opinions??

Thanx
Go on YouTube and watch videos of the difference between them. Wow

JC2008SportTrac

Reaction score
Not sure what Dmiranda means about that, but I use full synthetic in everything I own. It's a small increase over the non-synthetic, and definitely has served me well. Going from non-to full synthetic won't HURT your moving parts. It's just a question if you want to pay the small increase in price. The idea, I guess, is that you'll get more life out of the moving parts. I think you will. But if you're not keeping it for the long-haul, it doesn't matter. But, yes, I use synthetic in everything. I also do a 6K oil change versus 3-5K of other oils. YMMV.

Dmiranda1269

Reaction score
I have 3 vehicles and change the oil every 4 months, the motorcraft oil filters are under $5.00 at Walmart, and I get the Quaker State oil full synthetic delivered to my door from Amazon for $19.00 with subscribe and save, no one should ever use price as the excuse unless you are going to dealer for their $90.00 oil change

DILLARD000

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Last edited:

Harold Knutzak

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
I would.... cost is nothing if you buy the oil online.... the 4.0 NEEDS full synthetic to last....
Todd,
Thanks for all your input on "all things Sport Trac". I've been following this thread for input on switching my 2002 4.0 w/ 160k miles to synthetic. Questions ; are they all the same; different filters; what weight would be best for south central Florida???
Thanx in advance, Harry

Phil Frady

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Todd,
Thanks for all your input on "all things Sport Trac". I've been following this thread for input on switching my 2002 4.0 w/ 160k miles to synthetic. Questions ; are they all the same; different filters; what weight would be best for south central Florida???
Thanx in advance, Harry
Get a good brand or stick with Motorcraft. 5W-30 is what the book calls for. You could go with 0W-30, I wouldn’t go any different.

Latest posts