Fully Custom Exhaust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Childs

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am wanting to extrude as much power (and therefore hopefully gas mileage) as possible from my '05 Trac, and I figured that one of the best ways to do this is to put together a fully custom exhaust, complete with new headers, 2.5" tubing, high flow cat converters, new muffler (of course) and everything else I need (gaskets, hardware, etc.).

And now the tricky part; I want to keep the tubing from each side of the engine completely separate. i.e. I want the only place that the exhaust gases from the opposite side of the engine to meet each other is in the muffler. Now, I am new to the whole performance modification department, and I have no idea what kind of results this will give me, or if this set up will be a good fit for my truck. My question is whether or not this will be a good set up for my little 4.0 V6, and whether or not it is worth the time, money and effort to buy all the parts I need and install them the way I would like. I am curious as to whether or not I will get much better performance and gas mileage from this set up or if the gains will be worth the trouble.

Also, I should probably note that I am planning on buying a K&N intake, new throttle body, new coil, ignition wires, and anything else I can get my hands on for a good price. But my main concern is about the exhaust set up and whether or not it is worth it to buy all that. Thanks in advance guys.

Depending what your state laws are, you MUST have converters on your truck...

Now if you don't care, the other issue is the REAR 02 sensor, IT reads how the CATS are working...

Via the XCAL you can turn it off, but if you ever turn it back on it will throw a code with no cats....

ALSO you can go too big with exhaust and hurt the way the engine performs..

1 last thing, The 4.0 with all bolt ons ( minus a supercharger ) will get you 210 RWHP....

If you want more you need to do more internal engine work, or a s/c...

Todd Z

I have a `00 Audi with a test pipe for the cat, you can get around the CEL coming on with no cat by installing a anti fouler, yes the same thing that went on your dad's spark plugs back in the 70's, it will allow some exhaust gasses to get to the O2 sensor, but it wont sense enough NOx to set any lights off, and it will pass I/M in the state of utah and visual inspection.

Get the rt-ypipe from Zabteck and the high flow main converter. Then your choice of a cat back system. Your exhaust will be street legal in most states. Also the exhaust flow will be perfectly tuned for the 4.0L motor. No guess work involved.

If you really wan't to build it custom go ahead and build it as a true dual system from front to rear with your prefered Mufflers. Take a crayon and mark the exhast from the headers all the way back to the Mufflers.Start the Truck and watch to see where the crayon melt first on both sides. This is where you need to cut and add your cross over pipe. It will not be strait across. This is where the hot gasses arbuilding up and causing a turbulance in the pipe. This will maximize your HP and torque from your exhaust.;)