Fuse for Overdrive

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruth M

Reaction score
On the dash of my 02 sport trac the over drive light does not come on. All the other dash lights work. Is there a fuse that I need to change in order to have the overdrive light come on. As it is right now I can't tell if I am driving in OD or what. If there is a fuse what's the number and where is it located in the fuse box?

There's not a fuse for that specific light if that's the only one that doesn't work. I'd be suspect of the switch first, then the light, then the transmission itself.... The light is controlled by the transmission and connects to the engine harness through the 42 pin connector (pin 2 iirc)

When is it that it does not come on? It's really an Overdrive Off light that illuminates when the overdrive is turned off and, I believe, a few seconds upon startup. EDIT: The overdrive light does not illuminate upon startup.

Easy test to tell if the OD is working - drive at about 50MPH and press the button. If the RPMs increase, it's working. This still leaves many possibilities as to why the bulb may be out (bulb, ground, etc.). If the RPMs don't increase, then you have to consider what Austin notes.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on what Yardsale says. You need to check for normal overdrive operation, then go from there. How many miles on your Trac? Is trans fluid in good condition and at proper level? That being said the 5R55 transmission has a number of well-known issues. Video linked below talks about fixing one of them.

So on my 04, my od button didnt work either. I also didnt have reverse lights. Turned out that they use the same fuse. Fixed it. I couldn't find the fix. Paid someone else to do it. I do not know which fuse it is. Do you have reverse lights?

Latest posts