G2 Axle 8.8" Differential Cover w/ Drain (G/240-2013-1ALB)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris R 2

Reaction score
[edit: See below (Post 10) for pictures of the actual product. I purchased the cover discussed in this thread]

MyST'ers,

I'm looking for a differential cover with a drain plug, and a little style. I have an opportunity to pick up a G2 differential cover locally, and competitvely priced.

I'm going to go ahead and bite on it, but I can't seem to find any information regarding the fluid capacity increase that the cover would provide.

As a hypothetical:

If a cover adds an additional +0.6 quart capacity (PML does this), then wouldn't I need to add the regular fill capacity for the rear differential (in my case 5.3 pints / 2.65 quarts fluid refill recommended), and then fill to 6.5 pints / 3.25 quarts?

If Capacity Added: +0.6 quarts (1.2 pints)

5.3 + 1.2 = 6.5 pints / 3.25 quarts "New Fill Level" to achieve original fluid displacement?

Correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, similar cover to Eddie's, with bearing supports and in powdercoat black.

IIRC, 3 quarts was enough to fill his. Buy one extra in case, and return it sealed.

G2 didn't have a black cover when I ordered my Moser 7106 from Amazon.

Proform has a black one but I've heard the build quality was very poor.

Make sure you use the factory fill level, otherwise you will be over filled.

Several years ago I bought a cover from Mag-Hytec. Outstanding features (like a magnetized dipstick), great engineering and excellent quality. Increases lube capacity and servicing is a snap. There's probably cheaper versions out there, but IMO this is the one to go with if you want the best.

Steve,

I'm just a stickler for black! Maybe it's a good thing I waited until 2012 to modify my 2004 ST hehe! You know, the first two things I bought for my ST was a 1-to-2 Flowmaster muffler and dual out exhaust mod, then a K&N FIPK. Both from reading about them on this site in 3/2004.

Unfortunately my dad, a Ford dealer General Manager, saw me installing the FIPK and handed me the "I'll make sure your warranty gets voided!" speech, so that filter kit still sits in storage in Texas. I can't even remember which model I bought.

Vic,

You mentioned you purchased a cover that increases lube capacity, did you have to add more lube to compensate or was it alright just leaving at recommended fill level?

-Chris

Chris, I really like the new black G2 cover, would have waited had known about it.

Almost powder coated mine black until they quoted me $200. I don't think so. LOL

If you add a rear cover be sure to seal every fastener including the carrier load bolts

and the NPT drain plugs, or they will eventually seep.

It seems every aftermarket cover has their fill plug at a DIFFERENT height location.

Most specify to use the recommended factory plug fill level on the axle. (Loosen before draining)

You didn't mention your father being a former Ford GM, now we know where your drive comes from.:driving:

Thought this thread from the past made for some interesting reading:

:haveabeer: Thanks Steve! I love this forum's search function but sometimes I miss the most relevant posts hehe.

I've been considering powder coating the leaf springs, since they're showing effects of exposure, but if $200 was your quote for a little 8.8" cover then maybe I'll just 'spring' for new ones lol.

That and the drive shaft... steel and rusted. You can see from some of my pics.

Whoa, that's something I haven't seen before! I wonder if somehow, someone would work in a way to add some lighting in there hehe. Like an undercarriage brake light :rofl:

Headlights from people following you apparently gives a pretty good show as is.

I was very skeptical about their durability but I haven't been able to find anything but good reviews for them. They'd be more than adequate for a mostly street driven vehicle.

Chris, stick with the G2 cover, it's much more functional. :grin:

Just an FYI for those using Royal "Purple" lubes:

Oh don't worry, I ordered it yesterday and picked it up about an hour ago.

I'm a very visually oriented person, so here's some detailed pictures if anyone's interested:

[Broken External Image]:

What's in the box?

[Broken External Image]:

Back:

[Broken External Image]:

The Bearing Supports have a rubber backed washer:

[Broken External Image]:

And the access bolts have vinyl washers:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Looks solid to me, and MADE IN USA! I'm pretty happy with this purchase so far.

-Chris

NICE! I'm jealous :cry:

Appears G2 includes cad plated socket screws and washers.

You already know about rust, replace them with stainless.

Always thought these were cool, I can't use them because

my 8.8 cover is countersunk, and the flanges are too big.

Hugh, you're sick! :bwahaha: The red/pink plugs are "different".

Chris - yes, I added more gear lube when I installed the Mag-Hytec cover. Increased capacity is a good thing - Thermal Runaway is an issue in modern differentials, especially if you're towing or hauling heavy loads. AMSOIL Severe Gear is the finest gear lube available.

Vic,

Thanks. How does the process for the preferred member go? If I signup online, do I get some sort of confirmation or do I have to wait for a card in the mail?

More pictures! This time for installation:

Draining:

[Broken External Image]:

Cleaning up a bit:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Sealing:

[Broken External Image]:

And cover on. Torque bolts to 33 Ft Lb per manual.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Looks good!

Nice Chris.:supercool:

My G2 cover is the plain unpainted and no bearing cap bolts.

Got it for $90 delivered. Before I found it. I was thinking on the bearing cap strength. Then I thought about the years I ran the crap out of my 'stang, with just the sheet metal cover.

Plus the $500 for the powertax unit. That tied up $600 total for the trac rear.

After all these upgrades, where's the sway bar? Kidding, I know you ordered one. LOL

You're saving the best for last. Still the most jaw dropping mod I've ever done, by far.

I just knew I was going to get some flak for the sway bar LOL! I am agitated that I have a whole weekend and no bar to install.

Silly question, but I am supposed to extend the two bearing bolts until they rest against the supports detailed in the open cover pic right? I already did because it seemed the logical thing to do. Sealed the threads and tightened the nuts.

Eddie,

Got your package! Thanks.

Latest posts