Gas mileage has dropped?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise Hayes 2

Reaction score
My V-8 has been getting at least 18 mpg., but the last 2 tanks has dropped to 16 mpg. No different driving, anyone have an answer? Anyone else had this happen with the 07?

Air filter will do the same as well as a dirty fuel filter. But the air filter is the second biggest culprit behind low tire pressure.

I have experienced the same thing with my 2001 Ford Ranger (4.0 L). I think it is because they are starting to put in ethanol in preparation for the winter. BTW, I live in the People's Republic of Maryland. It may not be the same in Louisiana. It was getting a little over 17 mpg last winter then when they took out the ethanol for summer it started getting a little over 19.

My wife and I were in South Dakota a few weeks ago. The middle grade fuel was cheaper than the regular. I asked my brother-in-law what was up. He said the middle grade has ethanol and unless it is dramatically cheaper don't get it because of the difference in mpg.

The manufactor tag is usually set up for the best ride and not be too low for the weight. You can safely run them at the max cold pressure written on the tire it self.