Gas Mileage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Lugo

Reaction score
My 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Gas. Has the worst Gas Mileage. I get about 6 to 7 miles per gallon. I have about 156,000 miles on it. Spark plugs pretty new. It drives very smooth and quiet. No engine after market upgrades. No check engine lights. Air filter new . Good pick up but gas mileage is the worst. I have had big V8 engine cars , Mustangs 5.0 and 4.6 even a Big 460 Ford Station Wagon and my 2004 Ford Sport Trac has them all beat as the worst gasoline mileage vehicle.
Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot my gas mileage dilema ?
Thank you for reading !

While it's maybe not throwing any codes, if you're getting that piss-poor gas mileage, you've got bad plugs/wires. No question. The motor wants to give you better than that. If you're not getting it, you aren't getting fully burnt gasoline. That means, bad plugs/wires. Swap them, and see it improve.

Thank you JC2008SportTrac I will be ordering new cables, spark plugs, O2 Sensor, Maf sensor and hopefully it will change the bad gas mileage and if not I will have new parts that I do not have to worry about. I love my Ford 04 Explorer Sport Trac XLT . Thank you for the technical advice and I will put into practice soon.

Thank you JC2008SportTrac I will be ordering new cables, spark plugs, O2 Sensor, Maf sensor and hopefully it will change the bad gas mileage and if not I will have new parts that I do not have to worry about. I love my Ford 04 Explorer Sport Trac XLT . Thank you for the technical advice and I will put into practice soon.
You mentioned the plugs being pretty new. How new? The original ones were a platinum plug, so you want to make sure you get an equal or better one. The manual says to change plugs at 100,000 miles. Did that and changed the wires with it.

You mentioned that you may replace the MAF sensor. They can be pretty expensive. I found a MAF sensor cleaner at Oreilly's that worked well. No issues after 2 years.

My 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Gas. Has the worst Gas Mileage. I get about 6 to 7 miles per gallon. I have about 156,000 miles on it. Spark plugs pretty new. It drives very smooth and quiet. No engine after market upgrades. No check engine lights. Air filter new . Good pick up but gas mileage is the worst. I have had big V8 engine cars , Mustangs 5.0 and 4.6 even a Big 460 Ford Station Wagon and my 2004 Ford Sport Trac has them all beat as the worst gasoline mileage vehicle.
Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot my gas mileage dilema ?
Thank you for reading !
When was the last time you took it out on the highway and got everything up to a good hot? Clogged cats can cause poor milage if the vehicle is only a 'grocery getter'. Reset the PCM (disconnect battery for good 30 minutes) and go for a good, long drive on the interstate. Can't hurt to try.

Also, check for vacuum leaks. I posted, in the projects section, how to make a DIY "smoke machine" to check for vacuum leaks.

Good luck.

I get about the same or possibly even worse than Tony. My 86 reg cab long box 4x4 350 4bbl out of tune, running on 7 cylinders with a hole in each tank, actually got better mileage lmao! Gonna try the wires and throw the mass air sensor in the sonic cleaner (any recomendations on cleaner solution/mix?) as it's apparently in tune and not throwin any codes. 🤷🏻‍♂️
*hint hint* Did you know there's like 6 cat's on these things....
🍻🖖🏻

Because I've used my vehicles for business purposes for decades and I like spreadsheets I have kept close track of my gas purchases for both of my Sport Tracs. With the data printed on the receipt at the pump it is easy to compute exact gas mileage. I have over 250 gas purchases logged for the 2010 ST so far.

I bought the 2002 ST new and sold it in 2013 with 103,000 miles on it and bought the 2010 ST used in 2013. The 2010 has the V-8 engine. Both vehicles have 4x4 drivetrains (my best friend still drives the 2002) and both driven as primary vehicles. The 2010 is still running on the original spark plugs at 97,000 miles.

I live in Colorado with the home altitude of both vehicles of 5,300 feet. Summers are hot and winters can be cold. The owner's manual says to use 87 octane gas. At this altitude regular gas is 85 octane; mid grade is 87 octane. The 2002 ST lived on 85 octane gas. My driving is a mix of city, cross-country road trips, cargo trips over the Rocky Mountain continental divide and exploring back roads.

The 2002 ST got anywhere from 14 to 22 mpg over a tank of gas. Since the aerodynamics of the ST are typical of a truck, my gas mileage goes down as my speed increases over 70 mph. The best mileage I typically got was driving east on I-70 downhill across the plains of Kansas - as long as there was no headwind!

With the 2010 ST having the dashboard average mpg computer, I religiously write that number on my gas receipt and compare it to the computed mileage. The V-8 engine actually gets better gas mileage than the V-6 did. In the winter with bitter cold weather, some warmup time to clear the windshield and short trips to the grocery store over snowy streets my winter average mileage has dipped to 12.5 mpg for a tank of gas. On road trips I have gotten as high as 24 mpg.

Four years ago I started making multiple trips over the continental divide each year with up to 850 pounds of cargo one way, I decided to try 87 octane gas. These trips start at 5,300 feet, reaching 11,158 feet elevation at the Eisenhower Tunnel and after going down a long hill to 9,035 elevation in Silverthorne going back up to 10,666 feet elevation over Vail Pass. There are many steep ups and downs with the transmission dropping back to 4th gear on the way up. I drive within 5 miles of the speed limit, which is 75 for parts of the drive.

By the time I get to Grand Junction, elevation 4,583 I typically have averaged 20.5 mpg. On the way home with no load except me, I get about a bit over 22 mpg. When I was doing this trip with 85 octane the numbers were more like 18.6 and 20.1 mpg.

The dashboard mpg calculator can run up to +/- 1 mpg different than the computed mileage, typically overestimating it. My average overestimate so far this year is 0.5 mpg.

I found that the increase in gas mileage by switching to 87 octane for these trips over the Rocky Mountains is a break even financially when the price difference between regular (85 octane) and mid-grade (87 octane) is around 30 cents per gallon. Lately that differential has jumped up to 40 cents per gallon. But the higher octane gives me better performance, which I see in fewer and shorter drops down to 4th gear on the steep uphill road segments.

Bottom line for all of this is that your dashboard mpg average number will usually give too optimistic a reading but that number is NOT consistent, depending on conditions. Some times it can also read low.

I can't offer technical or troubleshooting advice but did want to post this information as a reference as to what a properly operating ST can do. As noted by others, 6-7 mpg means something is dramatically wrong with your engine and is not typical of these vehicles.

Last edited:
@Larry Michael
Good write up on your mileage;
get similar performance on my 2001 V6~4.0L~SOHC 4WD running 85\87octane
16mpg+ locally, 18mpg+ occasional run from home@9000ft to Denver@5280ft & back.

@Tony Lugo
Definitely something wrong.
Plugs\Wires\CoilPack
or OxygenSensors
or MAF
or PluggedCat
or VacLeak
or FuelLeak
or... something.

I get about the same or possibly even worse than Tony. My 86 reg cab long box 4x4 350 4bbl out of tune, running on 7 cylinders with a hole in each tank, actually got better mileage lmao! Gonna try the wires and throw the mass air sensor in the sonic cleaner (any recomendations on cleaner solution/mix?) as it's apparently in tune and not throwin any codes. 🤷🏻‍♂️
*hint hint* Did you know there's like 6 cat's on these things....
🍻🖖🏻
Thank you Marijualan , Wow 6 cats . I wonder how can I get those removed and if I do would I get a check engine light . I live in Florida and have heard that many people get the catalytic converters removed which improve horsepower and gas mileage here in Florida is legal to remove them.
Thank you again I see if it is feasible for me cost wise.

Thank you Marijualan , Wow 6 cats . I wonder how can I get those removed and if I do would I get a check engine light . I live in Florida and have heard that many people get the catalytic converters removed which improve horsepower and gas mileage here in Florida is legal to remove them.
Technically, it is still illegal to remove cats in Florida. Federal Law. But I think it is a matter of changing the programming in the computer to make them work without them.

Thanks Kmartin , Wow I have so many friends driving without Cats. I have been here in Florida for over 20 years and know of Mustangs, Corvettes, Pickups and whole other bunch driving without them without any problems. But I do not want to have problems with the Sport Trac Computer or any Check Engine lights. I had a friend with a Mustang 4.6 32 V GT instal a chip on the computer and fried it he was crying for many months without the Mustang the computer could not be fixed and the cost of it new was over $1500 , I believe after months he finally found one at a junk yard for like $600.00 so I’m not messing around with the computer.
But Thank you I greatly appreciate the feedback.

... driving without them without any problems. ...
The environment might disagree with the "without any problems" part. Just sayin'.

For the comp to be "fooled". The two closest to the engine need to be hollowed out, if one didn't want to buy new sensors. So I hear anyway ;) Apparently they are also full of fun stuff like asbestos :/ ....

Thanks Kmartin , Wow I have so many friends driving without Cats. I have been here in Florida for over 20 years and know of Mustangs, Corvettes, Pickups and whole other bunch driving without them without any problems. But I do not want to have problems with the Sport Trac Computer or any Check Engine lights. I had a friend with a Mustang 4.6 32 V GT instal a chip on the computer and fried it he was crying for many months without the Mustang the computer could not be fixed and the cost of it new was over $1500 , I believe after months he finally found one at a junk yard for like $600.00 so I’m not messing around with the computer.
I wouldn't use a chip where you have to open the computer and soldier it in. Don't know if that is what they use or what. The safest if you get one to plug in to the diagnostic port. For me, I don't do any modifications to my vehicles. It is expensive enough to buy, maintain, and trying to keep them in a good, reliable shape. So I have no experience doing any of these things. I just heard from others. Computers and electronics and vary sensitive items to any static build up. There that sensitive that you can fry them, without feeling the shock yourself.

Well there's your problem! The Mustang never came in a 4.6, 32V GT. If someone was running 87 or less octane, yeah, it'd be bad for that motor. But as that motor was never put in a GT, you should be okay. :)

Latest posts