Gas smell!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Delaney

Reaction score
I keep smelling gas! It's by the gas tank fill but I haven't found any leaks when I pulled the bed off. My filler line is like new no leaks checked all the visible rubber lines I don't see anything smelled the gas cap before I took it out, no gas smell so I don't think it's leaking there. One line on the fuel pump is open there's no connection for it. I can get a pic on right now but I will when I figure it out.

(Greg Bosin) - thanks for the reply. I was curious about that part. did it start to leak or does it collect build up? what was your reason for replacing it? was it the gas smell?

Dealer replaced, it solved the smell but I also had a gas cap light on the dash.

Dealer replaced is why it cost so much.

I've got the same issue. I've had a nuisance CEL for years with slow evap leak. I'm wondering if it's the solenoid valve in the back because I think the canister is in the front by the battery.

toptobottom, the canister should be at the rear, left side, up next to the frame rail. (You wouldn't want potential gas vapor leak next to a battery.)

Thanks! So in checking out some youtube vids - that's the purge valve below the battery tray. This is going to be a nasty job to check both areas, especially at the rear where the canister is on a rusty 2001 here in the winter salt zone.

I just went through this whole thing all you members are describing on my 02 inside the frame in front of the rear tire on the driver side there is a steel tube that runs from the canister to the front of the truck were the frame curls over the top of the axle there is a buildup of mud that has rusted out that Vapor tube that is the smell and the check gas cap cause. The easiest way to fix this is to cut the canister tube in the back and snake a rubber hose towards the front driver's side where the line becomes good free of rust and just bypass that rusted tube

Thanks Jim I because I think that's going to be exactly my problem location too. When I looked u Der neath there the line your talking about is about 3 times it's size with rust cancer. My heavy smell comes up right between the cab and the bed. I couldn't see any definite spot be a use of the rust.

I'm glad you mention a coronary bypass because I was thinking that's what I may have to do. Do you remember the hose size you used?

Sorry 4 the reply delay ... yes it was .5" id a d about 7 feet.

Like I said, i bypassed the whole thing and it's been great.

Word of caution there are two of those tubes running up there

You may want to do them both ?

i first thought it was the nylon line where it connects to the fuel pumpso i bought a new line and some connectors and put it all back together. ( woohoo all done right....) nope it wasnt the fuel line at all it was the little plastic 90 that connects the fuel line to the pump ( it was cracked right down the seam on top) and i missed it the first time i pulled the tank off!! it was very hard to see. well i hope this helps anyone with the same issue i had.

Latest posts