Gearing and 37"s

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon mena

Reaction score
Anyone have advice for me? I think a 4.88 and a posi would be good now for some 37" tires. I'm currently running a 4.10 open with 30" tires. Suggestions, how-to, someone selling anything?

My only worry is the highway which I use frequently. Has anyone changed gearing like this on here. Searching has yeilded minimal info for me.

Stock Trac comes with 29" tires and 3.73 diff or bigger tires and 4.10 diff. Using the 29/3.73 as a guide, a 4.75 diff with 37" tires would result in the same engine rpm at any speed. So a 4.88 would result result in about 3% higher rpm and 3% speedometer error [it would read higher than your actual speed].

I'm running 35's with 4.88's. Everything improved with my gear change. Power/Takeoff returned to the feeling of stock. My milage even went up due to the fact that i was now within the powerband again. Cruising at 75 (adjusted speedo) results in RPM's of about 26-2700. If you have any questions about gearing, let me know. I think Johnston and I are the only people that have re-geared.

Another consideration - even though, mathematically, the ratio may workout to coincide with the change in tire diameter, you should consider the additional weight and rolling resistance of the larger tires and wheels.

i wouldnt go over 4.56 with some 37's or 38's. people over gear so much. in my jeeps i run 4.11 gears front and rear locked and 39.5 x15 tires (soon to be 42's) and have no problems turning them up or going at highway speeds 70+.

just dont listen to all this 4.88 or 5.13 and up crap, its all just crap and you'll hate your life if you put in that low of a gear

Tony....while i agree with you on some level, you're speaking of 2 different engines and drivetrains. I'm guessing the jeep has a straight-6, which is an engine with ALOT more torque. Fords 4.0 is weak in comparison. With my 35's and 4.10 gearing i once had to put it in 4LOW to get up a curb....yes, a 8 inch curb. 4.10's were however fine for the highway, but since i was out of the powerband, mileage went to hell....

I went 4.88's with my 35's and i've never regretted the decision.