Gears and Towing Capacity

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry Suarez

Reaction score
I am again considering changing my gears to a 4.10 ratio. Because I tow a 7000 lb boat I need every bit I can get. Will changing my gears lower my towing capacity?

I think 7000 lb is pushing it a bit for the Trac. That being said, changing the gears will not lower towing capacity. I just don't think it is worth the effort.

The worst case you have is pulling the boat out at the ramp. But you can always put it into 4wd low to pull it out (if you have to) - Right? There's the lower gears!

For everything else, I think the auto tranny's torque converter can deal with the situation.

I've pulled a 21 foot Maxxum with my Gen 1 Trac no problem. I just take my time and go easy with it. But I prefer pulling it with an F-150. I've done both and there is a difference. But the difference is not about the pulling power (or gear ratios) so much as about STABILITY.

I've installed Superior Automotive/Leaf Spring Assist Kit on my Gen 1 Trac (Autozone sells it). One of the better upgrades I have done BTW (best $40 ever spent). But I see you are a Gen 2 and this does not apply - but there may be other options.

If you are going distance then I would add an aftermarket tranny cooler. I would do that before changing the gears. Upgrading the brakes on the Trac is also a good idea. As is making sure the trailer brakes are in tippy top shape.

I don't have a gen 2, but I thought I'd share my experiences.

Thanks Dean, I have been towing my boat (23ft Wellcraft) for several years now with no problem but I know I'm at the high end of what the truck can handle and I didn't want to surpass that. The gears are more for a little bit of spunk from a stand still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Henry,

With the V8 I wouldnt think you would need the 4:10's. They would give more TQ multiplication on low end. Fuel milage would suffer.

I think the extra trans cooler/with a fan, is a good Idea, for 7000 lbs. The TQ convertor is were most heat build up is. Until it locks into 1 to 1 ratio.

it'll help the towing manners, but there are a lot of other issues you'll need to change in the computer, such as speedo reading. it won't change your capacity, as legally it is governed by the GCVWR from the factory.

to see what it'll do, try a set of smaller or lower profile tires in 2wd mode and see what it does. yours is an all wheel drive trac, so you'll have to find 4. cheaper to test this way than to change the gears front and back

I wanted to bump my gears up to 4.10, but my reasoning was to get the cruise MPH up into the 3100+ rpm torque band. my 2002 V6 really tows well when the engine is up in that range.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts