Gearshift interlock solenoid noise after service

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Michael

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I just had my 2010 ST V-8 LTD 4x4 into the Ford dealer to have the exhaust manifolds replaced since they had warped and two bolts were broken on each manifold. While it was in the shop I also had them diagnose a problem that my AC would stop blowing in my face when I was going up a steep hill and then return when I was back on the level.

For some reason I decided to keep paying for the Ford-branded extended warranty after it ran out from the dealer that sold me the truck used. I've never done that with any other vehicle or even appliance.

The warranty company came through and paid for installing the new manifolds. They pulled the engine to get the broken bolts out. They also paid to replace a vacuum hose assembly (FL3Z-3A788-B) that has a check valve in it that had failed and was causing the AC problem. I only had my small deductible to pay when it was done. Looking at the math, I did better than break even when I look back at the total monthly premiums I've paid so far.

I picked up the truck today and the first thing that happened after I started the engine was a fairly loud mechanical noise under the center console when I stepped on the brake pedal to move from Park to Drive. Hmmmm. Released the brake pedal and there was another noise. As I pressed and released the brake pedal I quickly realized that I was hearing the solenoid engage and disengage that releases the interlock on the transmission when you press on the brake pedal and are in Park. In 90,000 miles I have never heard that sound before.

I immediately went back to the service advisor and had him come out to listen. He talked to his boss, who said that those solenoids do fail. And he assured me that they had done nothing with the transmission while the engine was out and they could not have caused this problem. They will "look over their work" to make sure all of it was done correctly but nothing beyond that without another service ticket. He claimed it could just be a coincidence that this device is acting up.

I pointed out that I had never heard this noise before, had no idea there even was a solenoid involved with the interlock and if it had been making that noise before I brought it in for them to work on it I would have had them address the problem while it was in their shop for two weeks and they were already doing extended warranty work.

It does work. I drove it about 18 miles with three stops and had no problem with it releasing the interlock each time I started the truck. But I am about to go on a 3-day trip to a fairly remote town in western Colorado for business and am a bit nervous about driving it this way. I'd hate to get stuck with my transmission locked in park. I just don't have the time before I leave to drop it off with them again.

I do have another vehicle I could drive but it is a Jeep with big mud tires and I hate to take it on long highway drives without some four-wheeling reward, which is not possible this time of the year in western Colorado.

So I have two questions for you helpful folks:

- I did a search on here but could not find any post with a similar problem. Has anyone else experienced this solenoid suddenly getting noisy? Is there some kind of felt bushing or damper that might have been shaken loose with their removing and replacing the engine?

- Do you think it is safe to drive, given that it is working but making a clunking noise when it engages and disengages?

Mine has done this for over a 100k. With 213k on the clock, it still functions fine. Willing to bet there is some rubber/plastic pad around the base of the plunger for the interlock switch that just wears or fails. I could see how this could be annoying(from not having it to now having it-especially after a service), but it doesn’t affect functionality.

I heard mine do this for the first time after having driven it for a couple months. I searched here and found that it is 'normal' on these but I could swear that I had not heard it up to that point. So I just chalked it up to me not paying attention. I think it's always done it but I just don't notice unless I listen for it.

Mine does it also, I never noticed it until I read this post. I start my vehicle with my foot on the brake so I don’t hear it unless I press the brake with it in PARK after it’s running.

Latest posts