Gen 1 V8?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
I am toying with the idea than instead of fixing my rear timing chain I buy an old v8 explorer with the all wheel drive and having a transplant project. I have a job that supplies transportation and lots of free time, However other than being mechanically apt I have no prior experience to anything this involved.

The General Idea would be to buy a junkyard rig/ cheap working explorer 1996-2000 and tear out all the bits I want. I am also budgeting for the explorer express supercharger. I intend on calling up explorer express to find out what they think and what additional mods they suggest.

My question is what mods should be done for long term reliability of the supercharged v8? Other than the basics of rebuilding of the engine... would new aftermarket heads be required and from who? What mods are most Important (money is an object)? And lastly are there any known issues with a the explorer v8? ie timing chain rattles from hell.

I am looking to do this because my engine has the timing chain rattle and with this I cant expect to sell for anything. to fix it I have to pull the engine so I thought UPGRADE:D.

as always thanks for your time and I treasure your opinion

-Don D.

I'd save the money from the supercharger and build it up NA. You can get the same power numbers (or more) for cheaper.

AFR makes some fantastic heads, match it to some good headers, higher ratio rockers, nice tune, and you'll be over 400 HP. Good pistons, good fasteners, and you should be fine.

Be aware that in most, if not all, you cannot put an older engine in a newer vehicle. According to the law, you can only use a 2001 Sport Trac and a 2001 Explorer. Of course, depending on how emission are done around you, this is either a non-issue or easily gone around.

2001 Mercury Mountaineer would also work. As long as you had a donor vehicle with a complete drivetrain AWD setup, it can probably be done.

If you want a stronger transmission, check out these from Level 10:

I am in florida so I think that the emissions is non-issue... As of now I am looking at a 98 or newer because most of the wiring harness is similar. Thanks for you guys input

-Don D.

Best with a 2001 Explorer donor vehicle IIRC because of the wiring and anti-theft, although it is nothing that can't be overcome. There is an extensive thread on this swap at www.explorerforum.com.

Lucky then since you do live in FL. I'm considering doing this for my Ranger, but have to worry about dang emissions.

The project shouldn't be too difficult, but it isn't a weekend swap. Everything should just kinda go in, may have to tweak, bend, clearance here and there, but physically, everything should fit. The wiring is the worst part. Gotta make sure you get the PATS stuff off the donor vehicle, or get a tow to a Ford dealer and have the whole shebang reprogrammed.

I was planning on doing the same thing to my ST. But I do not think it will pass emissions after the swap, because the motor would be from a different model vehicle and an older engine. THe best swap is to use a 99-01 Explorer motor and tranny. The mountaineer can be used but the wiring harness is different due to the headlights. Lots of info is on the explorer forum as JohnnyO stated.