Gen 2 2007 sport trac v6 4.0 tranny rebuild

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoyojoejoes

Reaction score
Hi I’m going to attempt aTranny rebuild 5r55e in my 2007 Ford Exploer sport trac V6 4.O 164000 mile ok so here is the story just got my truck and not even 2 mouths after purchase. I park in the drive way every thing was normal except for hard downshift. I come back about 8hr later starts up and runs but won’t engage into any gear except park I do research I think it might be a flow control valve in tranny so that means a rebuild Yay! So being my first time doing this I’ve done hours research and understand most Parts and common flaws ( servo boar and valve body issue) and ready to order parts, but have no idea what brand or type to buy So I’m going to try and rebuild and upgrade all that follows I have a pretty good budget ($1000)

gonna boar the servos for sure ( should I get a used one?)

want to buy a shift kit (does one come with master rebuild kit?)

master rebuild kit ( which brand is best and can last longest)

and a new torque converter( do I even need a new one?)

I’ll drop the pan soon and update on the inside of that and magnet.
Thank you for your time and help

Hi I’m going to attempt aTranny rebuild 5r55e in my 2007 Ford Exploer sport trac V6 4.O 164000 mile ok so here is the story just got my truck and not even 2 mouths after purchase. I park in the drive way every thing was normal except for hard downshift. I come back about 8hr later starts up and runs but won’t engage into any gear except park I do research I think it might be a flow control valve in tranny so that means a rebuild Yay! So being my first time doing this I’ve done hours research and understand most Parts and common flaws ( servo boar and valve body issue) and ready to order parts, but have no idea what brand or type to buy So I’m going to try and rebuild and upgrade all that follows I have a pretty good budget ($1000)

gonna boar the servos for sure ( should I get a used one?)

want to buy a shift kit (does one come with master rebuild kit?)

master rebuild kit ( which brand is best and can last longest)

and a new torque converter( do I even need a new one?)

I’ll drop the pan soon and update on the inside of that and magnet.
Thank you for your time and help
I've rebuilt many motors over the years, and have kept many a manual tranny going; but when it comes to auto-tranny's, I stay WAY away. I hope you had the best of luck rebuilding one of these. I'm still learning about this truck, but still can't figure out which auto tranny I have (5r55S, or 6R60 something).

I've got an '08 V8 4X4, and still don't know how to figure out which tranny I have.

Good luck with your rebuild! I'll figure it out. :)

Sorry had to take a break from the whole project

Ok figured out the pumps broken I misaligned the torque converter I’m getting it fixed and recleaning the tranny and cooling lines once done I should be able to put it back in and hopefully she’s as good as new! Finally I’m seeing the end of this long road!

Sorry had to take a break from the whole project

Ok figured out the pumps broken I misaligned the torque converter I’m getting it fixed and recleaning the tranny and cooling lines once done I should be able to put it back in and hopefully she’s as good as new! Finally I’m seeing the end of this long road!
That is awesome!

Automatic transmissions are just one of those things that I do NOT want to learn. Just looking at the insides of one of those things makes me think of brain surgery; and I'm not qualified!

I can change a clutch in a manual, change a manual tranny, etc., but wouldn't even want to THINK about messing with the guts in an automatic. Props to you if it all works out! :)

Latest posts