Gen 2 - 3.55 to 3.73 ?? 4.10?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Just thinking out loud.

The 3.73 are the gears in the v6 Gen2. The v8 Gen 2 came with 3.55.

This is a direct bolt in gear change. Both diffs my cost are about $500 bucks front and back. ( I would replace seals and gaskets)

Thoughts if the .18 Ratio change is worth it? or just rebuild and go right to 4.10 !!!

Thanks

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Going from a 3:55 to a 3:73 would be for all practical purposes "fine tuning" so I would jump to the 4:10. The ratio is programmed into the computer to control shift points and speeds so that will need to be changed as well. I'm not sure that it can be changed with and IDS, might need custom programming.

I have the Xcal already so changing those parameters should not be an issue.

MPG? Whats that !! LOL

Thanks.

Todd Z

YOU being the BURNOUT KING, 4:10 seems like a no brainer. BTDT huh? :grin:

HAHAHAHA SOOO true !!!!!

Todd Z

What are you wanting to accomplish?

When trying to compensate for tire diameter change, I compare the percentage change to available gear ratio changes and then include a "gut fudge factor" to compensate for weight and rolling resistance affects on acceleration.

Change from 3.55 to 3.73 is 4.82%.

Change from 3.55 to 4.10 is 13.41%.

Sometimes jumping two gear ratios (or more) will get what is needed for the goal; sometimes fine tuning is enough.

LOL L1..... HAHAH, Yeah I know all the math and stuff, ITs the performance aspect.... period !!....

And I would need a posi to make it a "set".....

or its just a 1 tire fire !!!!!

:driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving:

I learned the hard way, long ago. One ratio level aint good enough. At least two. 3 if you dare...:banana:

I've been contemplating the change to 4.10's for a long time now, however I have an AWD Adrenalin and it seems like you need to put in 4.09's (doesn't make sence) in the front and 4.10's in the rear. Both axels must be done at the same time too. Todd keep me updated. I even have a set of Ford Racing 4.10 gears ready to go in my garage just need to know what to buy for the front.

Yeah, its just a brainstorm for now... $$$$ is tight....... That's why I was thinking the 3:73 that's cheep but not worth the work. Also I would want a LSD in the rear too....

I know it would be a 1 tire Fire if I didn't...

YES you should do the Both front and rear at the same time unless you remove the fuse for the AWD and Traction control, then the front driveshaft.

I did that on my 2003 when I went to 4:56 !!...LOL

Todd Z

Latest posts