Gen 2 Rear Diff Lube Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
Changed the rear diff lube yesterday. Gen 2's have a drain plug on the diff cover which makes draining it easy. The issue comes with filling it. There is a crossmember behind the diff cover and not a lot of room between it and the fill plug. There is however a hole in the crossmember that you can stick the tubing from your suction gun through and it comes out near the fill plug. It is much easier to do this if you remove the spare tire. I know this because it's a PITA if you don't. The 5/8 tubing that came with the suction gun isn't really flexible enough so I cut a small piece off and attached a 3/8 piece of tubing inside it with Gorilla Glue. This was after attaching the 3/8 tubing to the tip of the lube bottle didn't work so well except to create a mess on the floor, my jacket, and sweatshirt. (I put a sheet of cardboard down first.)

Given the cost of three quarts of Mobil 1 75w-140 gear lube at $17 each, it really isn't worth the bother when the Valvoline Qwicky-Lube will do it for $56.95 with full syn.

There is more clearance between the front diff cover and crossmember on a Gen 2 than a Gen 1, but I couldn't get the 3/8 tubing in through the fill plug far enough to suck anything out so that is staying for now.

I have a hand pump that screws on top of the bottle and pumps it right in using different size hoses....

Good to know.....

Could do a project on it ????

Todd Z

Latest posts