Gen 2 ST Conversion To Manual Transmission!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on how this could be facilitated? Would it be a major undertaking?

I would love it if I didn't have to deal with the six-speed issues. Had my truck been offered as an STA w/ Manual tran...I would have bought that instead anyway.

Dingo....you must have thought about this before!!

Since the 4.6 3V motor is in the mustang and some trucks, I would start there.....

A good thing is that the tranny is controlled by a separate computer....

As for sensors and stuff may have to do some special wiring but that is normally not the issue..

Under The dash you need places for clutch pedals and hydraulic lines for the clutch....

Also if your 4wd you need the truck stuff, and may need special drive shafts made..

On a gen 1 it is easier since the 01-02 and few 03 came stick.

Thats just what I can think of....I am sure dingo has more info

Todd Z

Also if your 4wd you need the truck stuff, and may need special drive shafts made..

Carey has an AWD STA. Would that differ from what's needed for 4WD?

Last edited by a moderator:
The mustang and F series are not AWD.... Dont know if the transfer case will bolt up to the manual tranny....

Also considered if he had a 2wd....

Todd Z

Wasn't one of the Harley-Davidson supercharged F150's AWD in the last few years? Maybe the Xfer case from one of those might work.

if the gen 2 AWD is like the 04 mountaineer AWD system then you could just remove the front driveshaft and us it as 2wd. i dont like this idea but its currently how my mountaineer is because of the quote to fix the transfer case, and because the mechanic gave his word that it would cause no long term damage. im still not sure about it

Last edited by a moderator:
I pondered it for about 20 minutes.

Then I thought about the cost to benefit ratio. Just not there.

I have had zero problems with my tranny.