Gen2 Dash lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyB

Reaction score
One of the light bulbs on my instrument cluster went out. The one by the gas gauge and tach.

How hard is it to change them? anyone have any experience? what bulbs?

thanks

In order to change the instrument cluster bulbs, there are several steps involved. First, the center bezel (around radio) must be removed. There are 2 bolts just above the A/C knobs and below the radio. Give the bezel a slight, but firm pull by holding the sides of the bezel carefully because its in by an expanding retainers). Then the lower dash cover (under steering wheel) held in by bolts that are located underneath and on the sides of trim. Behind that is a metal plate that must also be removed, also held in by bolts. Then the upper dash cover (around instrument cluster). There a 3 bolts located just above the instrument cluster facing down also. Then the instrument cluster itself which is held in by torx bolts. Before removing the cluster, with the electric ONLY on (don't start up vehicle), put the emergency brake on. Lower the steering wheel as low as it goes. Then put vehicle in neutral (make sure vehicle is secure and won't roll into anything!). Putting the steering wheel down and the vehicle in neutral will give you enough access to carefully slide the cluster out without the shifter or steering wheel in the way. Disconnect the cable attached and there you go! To remove the bulbs, just twist the little black pieces behind the cluster. Let me know if you have any questions or are stuck!

:banana::supercool:

Last edited by a moderator:
cool, thanks. do you know what kind of bulbs the Gen2 uses?

now i need to find time to do it.

Unfortunately, I do not. I recommend calling a Ford dealer and just asking the parts department for the size and/or part number. They will pull it up in their system by your VIN too! That way you know it's the correct size!

Another option is go to a car parts store (like Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, Bennett Auto Supply, AutoZone, etc.). Go to the area where the headlight bulbs are. Most stores have a book hanging from the shelf that will give you bulb sizes for all makes and models.

Good luck! :haveabeer:

Latest posts