Gibson or Magnaflow cat-back

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry C

Reaction score
ok I searched a few forums and couldn't find a straig answer.

I currently have the stock muffler replaced with a DynMax UltFlo.

But it' cracked and the rer pipe is rotting.

so I'm not di that again.

I'm looking at the R/T Y-pipe. Thinking about the CAT at a later time.

My question is which system sounds better. Gibson or MagnaFlow?

I'm lookin at the SS systems being about 28 off from eachother witht he Gibson being cheaper.

A lot of my driving is at 70 and I'm seeing the the Gibson may have a bit of a drone. Does the MagnaFlow have the drone also?

I have the CAI, bigger MAF, Todd Z's tb, LiveWires and Demon coil and Xcal2 on 93 tuned for MAF.

Thanks, I'd like to get teh cat-back ordered at the lastest tomorrow.

Check your local muffler shops for a custom installation. You can probably get something installed for much cheaper than a bolt-on system. I had a Flowmaster Delta Flow-40 installed and new tailpipe without the resonator for $160.

As far as sound that is subjective to personal taste. I have the magna-flow. At 70 mph the sound is not a drone in the cab. If you have a shop build it for you. Mount the muffler as far back as possible, before the axle. It will make a difference in the cab.

I'm looking at these 2 due to them being SS cat back systems.

Not just installing the muffler and then aluminized pipe. this is the 2nd repair on the ST in 40k and I had the muffler installed at 3k.

So wish a full SS system that I don't have to mess with, should last 10 years or so.

As far as sound I'm sorry, I meant more a question of cab drone at freeway speeds.

Thanks

I have a ss magnaflow cat back. Absolutely no drone in cab. A mellow tone. Possibly too mellow for some who like loud exhausts. It's been on since 2003 with absolutely no problems.

OK well it seems that the Gibson is designed to boast performance around 1800 to 3000 RPM.

And most others including the Magnaflow start boasting around 4k.

So I'm going with the Gibson, just which I culd get the Dual Sport system.

I really like the way it looks.

I'll post some sound clips after I getit installed and then we'll see after the R/T y-pipe.

Thanks guys