GM's New Warranty

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudged Undies

Reaction score
I've been seeing this commercial for a few days now and since quality and service has been a pretty vocal issue here lately, I thought this was kind of pertinent. I've never owned a chevy, not for any particular reason, but it looks like they are really trying to turn things around, even if it's slowly. They are now offering a 5yr/100k limited warranty on the powertrain which includes roadside assistance and courtesy transportation. Haven't read all the details but since many complain about US automaker warranties, this seems like the beginning of a change.

<a href="http://www.gm.com/warranty/index.jsp?brandid=vs&lang=en&cmp=gm_com"target=top>GM 5yr/100k Details.</a>

Rodger, I doubt it. It took them this long to bump it up to the 5yr/60K. I can't see them bumping it up to 100K anytime soon. It would be nice though.

Last weekend GM brought out a bunch of vehicles for people to test drive at the mall. They had a hummer on a trailer lifted up with the 5yr/100k warrenty stuff written all over it.

Mazda has had the 5 year/60,000 bumper to bumper warranty for B4000, and Ford only has the 3 year/36,000 warranty for the Ranger (same vehicle).

I would buy a Mazda SportTrac over the Ford if they offered it.

Quoted from "Tommy Boy", "I could take a dump in the box and slap a warrenty on it and all you got was a guaranteed piece of s**t". Just kidding, I think that the US automakers do need to improve the length of thier warrenties. As everyone knows, as soon as your warrenty runs out, that's when the problems begin. The 3/36K one really isn't long enough in my opinion. Hell, I think they should go with the lifetime warrenty. (yeah, that will happen);)

The warranty issue is one that is very important to manufacturers. Its a gamble, but is a very good way of increasing consumer confidence in the vehicles. Also, it tends to boost the resale value of used vehicles as many would still be warranted for a several thousand miles after the new owner takes possession. I think Ford is going to eventually have to if they want to keep up.

SEAN, don't forget that it encourages (at least it should) the manufacturer to put a bit more interest in the quality of the parts that go into the vehicles, to avoid headaches. Whether this actually happens or not, I don't know but it makes sense.

Didn't you folks know that mechanical breakdowns are governed by a small hidden black box? They can just as easily re-adjust these!

I read in one of those articles that extending the warranty up to 100,000 miles will only cost the manufacturer about $150.00 per vehicle, but customers are willing to trade that warranty for a $3,000.00 rebate.

Tom