Going for the Ford service contract

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Michael

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
For the first time in my life I bought a used vehicle from a dealer when I bought my 2010 Gen2 back in 2013. It was pricey but it did come with a 1-year Ford certified used car warranty. And because the dealer was a bit dishonest about the price (tacking on a used car prep charge that was not disclosed up front) I negotiated a really good price for a 3-year Ford (not 3rd party) service contract after that first year expired.

During these four years I've had two oil leak problems that would have been quite expensive to fix on my own (one was a leaking seal where the wires go into the top of the transmission) so I feel like I more than got my money's worth out of the deal.

Last month that contract expired and I was offered two different service plans directly from Ford. One was for basic items and the other covered just about everything.

I've realized that there are very few things that I can repair myself on this vehicle. My 2002 Gen1 was a lot more simple. This 2010 model has so much complexity in the mechanisms and the attendant electronics that run them. They are far beyond the home garage mechanics that I routinely do on my Jeep CJ-5. Add in the Sync and climate control systems, to say nothing of the electronically controlled dashboard, and the cost to replace stuff when it breaks has become breathtaking to me. And that will only go up over time.

Soooo... I did some math and came to the conclusion that going with the Ultimate plan but taking the $500 deductible made the most economic sense. With my low mileage (71,100) the monthly premium was only $63.35. I get a 3 year price lock and the 4th year (when the vehicle will be 12 years old) will be quoted based on my mileage.

So now I have a peace of mind that if anything big goes wrong I have limited liability. I've never had any trouble getting repairs authorized and paid for in the past and this is another Ford-direct plan, like the old one.

This isn't an advert for Ford service plans. I just find myself in a whole new world of "what do I do when the thing breaks?" and this seemed like the best solution for me.

For two reasons I dread having to buy my next vehicle when this one gets old and tired. First, like it or not, it will be even more complicated, with more safety sensors and computers. Second, I've never found another reasonable size truck on the market with a roomy back seat, decent ride and back seats that fold forward instead of up - something that is very important to me for my dog outings and going camping.

If you asked me about service plans in the past (for anything) I would have said NO! Goodbye! But times, and vehicles, change.

Sadly I rolled the dice on my Adren, Regret it..... my 03 was flawless.... Live and learn.

I never used to be interested in factory extended warranties but with the higher cost of replacing advanced systems on the newer vehicles, I usually extend the warranties for at least the length of the loan or longer.

Latest posts