Good News and Bad News at 130,000k

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
Hey ST Fanatics, Happy 4th of July to you all. I just recently flipped 130,000 miles and had it in for an oil change. I have been meaning to do the 120,000k service, and have it scheduled for next week. However, the service guy told me that both the front and rear differentials are leaking. The front is more expensive than the rear, but both costing around $600. Couple that with the 120,000 service and I am looking at a $1200 bill coming up.

Anybody replace the seals or service them? If so about how many miles did you have on your ST when it needed to be done.

Thanks for any info,

Tommy

Dealer replaced my rear seal at ~78k. This was only after a drive shaft replacement (@ ~65k) and prior rear end fix by the same dealer. Fortunately it was under warranty and was covered. '01 Job 2.

The service advisor told me that they were leaking. I am always skeptical of what they say, I just haven't had a chance to check it out myself. I will probably get under there a little later and see for myself.

So, if they are wet, it isn't a problem? I had thought that maybe they were due for a service.

Thanks,

Tommy

The fluid in them could just be thinned out and causing a weep...

IF they were Leaking you would be low on fluid, ( which they should have topped off for you) and you would see the bottom of the truck wet and possibly spots where you park it..

Todd Z

I had both front diff seals leak on the Ranger I had before, both repaired on warranty (that's how soon they leaked). No probs with the Trac.

Still, with 130k I'd say you're on borrowed time before other expensive things start to break.

Thanks for the input guys. It is a little pricey, but I don't really have any other options. I do feel lucky that I have gone 130K without having a problem with the diffs, but I do want to rack up another 130K on it. So, I feel like I should do it because I try to take such good care of the ST. The 120K check must be done now, so I will do it all in one shot. Thanks guys.

Tommy