Got My Gibson On

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
Finally had a minute of spare time to get my Gibson exhaust on my '08 this morning. Still cold and wet so I took it to my friend's shop where we had a lift. Saved a bunch of time.

Things we learned:

* There is a split and a clamp directly above the LR halfshaft, same spot as the Gibson system, so you can take the tailpipe out.

* The mid pipe and muffler still won't come out without cutting. It might on a 4x2 but no way to get the pipe around the t-case on a 4x4 to pull it forward far enough or get it below the crossmember to get the rear out over the axle.

* At least on my V6 there is an unused hanger support on the frame near the front. The Gibson system has another hanger bracket on it at that spot (the OE system did not), but my bud had a spare rubber hanger laying around so we put it on. Possibly it is used on a V8 Trac, I dunno.

* All the Gibson hanger brackets line up perfectly. Needed to twist the muffler a bit to get the tailpipe away from the rear diff. It didn't touch but it was close.

* Important...the OE mid pipe bolts (the flexy ones with the springs) do not fit the Gibson flange, the shoulder is too long. We reused the OE donut and my bud had some shorter bolts and springs. You need a little flex at that connection to allow for engine movement.

* I took another MYSTer's advice and painted the system and clamps with silver high temp paint. Scrubbed it all with Dawn to get the oil off then roughed it up with #400 sandpaper.

* We had a lift so that made it easy, the whole thing took about 45 minutes to do. At home laying on my back it would probably take half a day and trip or two to the parts store.

* It's not loud but has a nice rumble. A bit loud inside for my taste around town but at part throttle on the highway you don't hear much.

* The polished stainless tip is bitchin'. :cool:

[Broken External Image]:

I get more pics when I get home from work.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you stuck the v8 exhaust on the v6 truck, Or did I miss something ??

Todd Z

I believe the Gibson system is the same for the V6 and V8. There is a hanger bracket on the frame rail about where the driver's door is but there was no corresponding bracket on the OE exhaust. The Gibson pipe had a bracket on it however.

I'll take pics when I get a chance but another snowstorm has just started. Again. :rolleyes: 6" to 8" by tomorrow they say.

Johnny O, glad you got it on before the storm rolled in!

I was going to ask you if it was snowing down that way...we are looking at 1 to 2 ft here. (so we read in our local paper anyway)

Snow is kicking right now. Started after lunch. Calling for about 8". This is two Fridays in a row and it's messing with my work.

I've decided that it's too noisy inside the truck...maybe louder than outside. As best I can tell there are no leaks. With the radio on at least moderate volume with music you don't hear it so much but on a talk station you do.

I'm going to look for a 2.5" resonator short enough to fit.