GPS antenna placement in Gen 1?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard McAlister

Reaction score
For those of you who have installed an aftermarket audio head unit with GPS, where did you put the antenna? I'd like to put mine under the dash somewhere if possible, anyone tried that? I haven't received the unit yet and would like some hints before I do the install.

thanks,

rich

Hi Rich :)

Welcome to the world of In-Dash GPS, you're going to love it!

I've had such systems in my last 3 trucks and the last 2 have been in Sport Tracs.

I have never installed in a Gen 1 ST, however I have done an OEM NAV unit in my old 2008 and have just installed (finishing this weekend) a Pioneer AVIC in my 2010.

Both times I've installed the GPS antenna 'under' the dash and IN the car and have never had reception problems. Many will tell you that the antenna must be outside of the car, but that has not been my experience, thus making installation much easier too!

Just be sure the antenna is resting on something metal and that it's securely fastened and that the antenna wire's excess length is smoothly coiled, but bunched up.

Let me know you need any other help?

Take Care, B3

b3 I just put mine on the dash down by the windshield and snaked the wire under the dash. I understand that the thing must be able to have line of sight with the satellite.

Latest posts