Grandkids GRRRR

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Howard

Reaction score
Drove to Mt. Airy, NC yesterday around 250 miles pulling an empty car dolly. That was a miserable trip due to the dolly shaking the entire truck, sometimes very hard. The rental place said that was normal. My adult Grandson was on his way home from Florida when the check engine light came on. He continued to drive and soon the information center in his car said that there was no oil pressure and to shutdown now. He continued to drive another 25 - 30 miles until the engine froze up. His Dad had to leave work to go get him while his car was towed. I was elected to go get the car because I have the only truck and am retired. His bill was $250.00 for towing and checking it out. They also had a estimate for $5,495.00 to repair it. The ride home was great, I hardly knew the car was being towed. I drove most of the way with OD off. I just wanted to vent. He hinted he would like to borrow my Trac, NO WAY.

sounds like a smart decision not to let him borrow the Trac if he can't read/understand a message there was no oil pressure. Hope he doesn't ask to borrow the $$ to have the car fixed either.

Paul,

Interesting story.

I sense that more and more "kids" today seem to not have much respect for property (things); theirs or someone elses.

When I started driving, first my folks cars, I was scared to death that something might go wrong, that I get a flat, or a fender bender...whatever. I was scared not because I would get punished, but because I knew that when that vehicle was in my care anything that went wrong and needed fixing was coming out of my pocket.

I started working at 12yo for spending money. When that happened I never, ever asked my folks for money again. So, when I started driving, and started buying more expensive toys (cars), I took care of them.

To this day when I trade in or sell cars we've had for years I get comments on "how clean they are inside."

I hate car dummy lights as much as the next guy, but I know ignoring them typically costs you more.

I wonder what your grandson was thinking? Get there at all costs? Drive it until it explodes?

TJR

TJR,

I was the same as you. I started working at a very young age. I avoided asking Mom and Dad for money no matter what. When I started driving, I got Mom's old Maverick. If I messed up once, I lost the privledge to drive it.

That was a miserable trip due to the dolly shaking the entire truck, sometimes very hard. The rental place said that was normal.

FWIW, letting the air out of the tires to 7 to 10 PSI on an empty Tow Dolly will make it tow really nice. Before you load it up, fill the tires up.

What was your Grandson driving?

Tom

My boat trailer does the same thing without the boat on it. It feels like you have two flat tires.

It is just bouncing along behind. With the boat loaded it tows great.

I had a company pickup to drive in my first job that was the same way. Unloaded it would bounce you against the roof. 2400 lbs of trucks wheels, tires, hubs and drums in the back, and it was instant Cadillac! Handled about the same, too.

I started working at 15 and have only been unemployed for 2 days since then (31 years). My first car was $125, and I paid for it myself. While my parents have helped me considerably over the years and they have bailed me out a few times, they also let me learn from my mistakes and let me suffer when I did something stupid. As a result, I have a respect for work, my posessions, and other peoples' posessions.

The Grandson was driving a Volkswagen Passat, He had a CEL for months with me telling him to take it to Autozone to find out what was wrong for free. He declined because it was running just fine. He has a good paying job and is saving money to buy a house, now that will have to wait. He lives on a farm for free because he helps with the cattle. He works on a tow boat 30 on and 30 off.

I am 69 years old and had my first car when I was 12. It was a Model A roadster. I did all the work on it and paid all expenses. I had a paper route and cut grass to pay for it. I drove to junior high school. At my driving test for my licence the officer asked if I had an A model, I said yes and he laughed and said "you have been driving for years" I passed the test.

The guy at the Import Motors garage said the cams were locked up. I asked if it broke the belt when they froze. He says the belt is still fine. The engine will turn over with a regular screwdriver. Sounded fishy to me.

Edited to correct spelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to start anything (yes it is, just stirring the pot) but how did a Grandson freezing up a car end up being a pat yourself on the back fest for how you earned you own money and took care of cars growing up?

I think part of the problem is that today cars are trouble-free and adjustment-free so much that younger folks do not know how to watch for things or maintain them.

Back in the day, everyone knew how to change a tire because, well, with bias plys you were luck to go 6 months without a flat. Most people knew to check oil because, well, cars burned and especially leaked oil. Now people think that as long as they've got AAA and a cell phone everything is handled. :rolleyes:

Latest posts