Gray plastic trim Paint or Clean

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDA PDA

Reaction score
Hey guys

I am have been reading tons of posts but really have not seen a direct answer regarding the gray plastic bumpers and side trim on my 02 Sporttrac. The Florida sun has started to really give it a faded dull look.

Outside of replacing them with the painted version that came on later years, I was wondering, can that textured plastic be painted? Some people say yes, others say no it peels and ends up looking horrible. Has anyone done it and how long has it held up?

I see some guys recommeded using Mother's Back to Black on the gray plastic because the product is white and it helps.

Thanks for any advice as we love our Sporttrac and want to keep it looking new.

David

[email protected]

David, There are many members that have painted the gray cladding with no problems. IIRC, whomever you get to do it just needs to use a good adhesion promoter first.

First, the smooth textured cladding from a newer truck doesn't come painted from ford so you will have to paint any way...

IF you can get the stuff from a junk yard, then you could just swap it out...

I painted mine over 2 years ago on my 03. IT was textured, You just use the right prep and paint and the texture is gone, and it has held up to 100 degree days and snow and road salt...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks guys. The Florida sun is murder on black trim and the gray looks old. Todd, that paint looks great! I have a good paint shop that has done some work on other cars and will bring these pictures in to show them.

I am glad to know I can get it painted.

Going to do the Mothers tonight until it gets to the paint shop.

NO NO NO, don't put any wax on prior to paint because they will need to strip it all off of there.

Todd: Can you give me the right prep materials and the paint used to paint your trim..It looks great. I have an 04 and already it's faded and I need to paint it to gloss black to match the truck. Thanks in advance. The more you can tell me the better..when it comes to body work, I stink. I turned wrenches for a few years, but not the putty knife and sander.

I also ued the Mothers Back to Black but applied it with the Mother's mini powerball this past week end. It looks alot better now. We'll see how long that lasts.