Great E85 Vs. Gasoline Comparison Test

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
I found this on Edmunds.com this morning. It's a great comparison between E85 and gas. Pretty much confirms my own personal conclusions, that despite the cheaper price at the pump, E85 is more expensive to use than gas because of the decreased MPG. And the only reason that it's cheaper at the pump is because it's gov't (our tax dollars) subsidized.

So not only does it cost me more just to use it in my vehicle, my money's being taken against my will, by force to support a product and industry that couldn't exist on its own in a free market.:angry:

Still nothing as of yet to convince me to use E85.

The article's too long to post here, but well worth reading. Linked below.

I think this is the jist of the article right here.

Gas Result: From San Diego to Las Vegas and back, we used 36.5 gallons of regular gasoline and achieved an average fuel economy of 18.3 mpg.

Gas Cost: We spent $124.66 for gasoline for the trip. The average pump price was $3.42 per gallon.

E85 Result: From San Diego to Las Vegas and back we used 50 gallons of E85 and achieved an average fuel economy of 13.5 mpg.

E85 Cost: We spent $154.29 on E85 for the trip. The average pump price was $3.09 per gallon

Gas/E85 difference:The fuel economy of our Tahoe on E85, under these conditions, was 26.5 percent worse than it was when running on gas.

Those results are obvious if you evaluate the BTU content of gasoline verses Alcohol. Its a farmer subsidy nothing more. If you include the higher prices in food and the extra fertilization run off which can be seen harming the Gulf, the cost is actually much higher.

E-85 is harder on the environment when factoring in the fertilizer and production.

No good reason to use ethanol except to give mid-level producers and investors huge profits that only exist because of heavy government subsidies at all levels.

Farmers will be screwed in the end- just wait.

The government sees that a different way.

The vehicle running on E85 got 13.5 MPG on 15% of the volume of fuel used. So, in other words, there are 128 Ozs in a gallon. 15% of that is 19.2 Ozs of gasoline.

Running E85, that Tahoe ran 13.5 miles on 19.2 Ozs of gasoline.

Seriously, that is how the EPA looks at it.

Tom

I hunt in Iowa a lot. A lot of farmers down there are turning over a lot of wildife cover that they previosly left untouched so now they can plant more corn. Just another problem with producing the Ethanol. You can see the lower numbers of wildlife over the last 10 years of hunting down there because of this.