Grinding noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnie Tutt

Reaction score
Whats up guys? I need some help. I have a 2001 4x4 that has had a whining noise for the last six months. It was consistant with the engine reving. If I gave it gas it got louder. The other day the whining was gone, not is it a kind of grinding noise. It to is consistant with the revving of the engine. I thought it was the power steering pump, and so did several others when it was whining. Now I am not so sure. The steering fluid is full.

Anyone have any ideas what this is? Many thanks in advance for any help I can receive.

You know, I thought about that. It seems to be coming from the front of the engine where the alternator and power steering pump are. It is hard to tell which one. It seems to be coming from in between both. If it was alternator, wouldn't my battery be draining?

Could be a bearing in the alt. It would still charge.

I'm not recommending doing this, ;) but I used to take a LONG extention or a piece of broom handle and place it firmly on various engine components, while they were in operation, and stick the other end to my ear. Sound transfers through very well, showing the source of noises. But again, I'm NOT recommending doing this dangerous act. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I ask only because my Trac whines only when the AC is on. It didn't do it until the dealer put new timing cartridges in. I've heard other fords make the same noise so I haven't asked about it.

Try this... With the truck cold, Remove the serpentine belt..

Start the truck and rev the engine, IF thew noise is gone, then it is Something the belt drives, IF it is still there, Then it is internal or something with the transmission front pump or torque converter..

DO NOT LET THE TRUCK run for more than 2 min, You can overheat the engine..

Todd Z

I just went out and listened again, sounds like maybe the top wheel that the belt connects to could be the source. Does this thing have a bearing it it?

I think the tranny does whine a little bit due to gears not lining up perfectly and that would change with RPM's but it shouldn't grind.

I replaced the upper pulley about 6 moonths ago because of a similar noise. there are bearings inside it. Noise has been gone since

I just learned to ignore the noises my ST made when it ran. Between the A/C compressor hum, the periodic hissing under the dash, and assorted clunks and rattles I would have been a nervous wreck worrying about where the noises were coming from.

Mystery solved......On my way home from work, the upper pulley between the alternator and the steering pump locked up and bent causing the serpentine belt to jump track. Turns out it was a bearing in the pulley. $21.00 for a new pulley and $50.00 for a new belt(it got chewed up) and no more noise. The whine lasted about 6 months and got progressively louder. The rattling noise lasted about 3 days.

Again thanks to everyone for suggestions and help.

Tutt

Latest posts