Hard Shift from Park -> late engagement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eli Sidwell

Reaction score
4 months after I purchased by '04 sport, I got a call from the dealer stating that the transmission had been recalled and they had a fix.
The tech at the dealership stated that this tranny has a shifting problem (or would start to) and the fix was this can of 'friction enhancer' that they would need to add to the trans fluid.
I let them do, kept driving, no issues.

10 years later I let a local mechanic perform a 90k mile inspection, change all the fluids, plugs, ...
Soon after I started to experience the shifting problem. Shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse, there is a hesitation followed by a hard engagement.
Went back to the mechanic and explained, he searched for a description of the problem on an on-line app they had in the garage called 'All Data'
What he found was a problem described as 'late engagement' would occur if this particular additive was not in the trans fluid.

Does anyone else know what I am talking about or have or had the same problem ?
Any one know what the name of the additive is ?
-Or-, is there a better solution other than a friction enhancer ?

If I had the transmission rebuilt, would the shop fix the problem ?
Or just rebuild it to factory specs and start the story over again ?

Thanks
Sid.

hey sid, little confused on your post,, did ya buy new and 10 years after that? on my 04 trac i got new i have not gotten any recalls on trans. on my 05 ford freestar i got one on trans for input shaft in 2012 i think, but not my trac, i had trans fluid done twice now and no issues or additives. i know some explorers had major trans issues in earlier models but do not remember ford doing a recall but should of. hope that helps.

Yes, purchased new in '04
'12 had all the fluids changed and the problem started to show up.
I remember the mechanic reading the description of the problem "May experience late engagement ..."
So maybe it was not on all models.

Another mechanic told me that all those models of Rangers and Explores had Mazda tranny's and were prone to problems.

Just wondered if anyone else had the problem and knew of a fix.

Thanks

There was a recall for the 2004 trans fluid. The factory used the wrong fluid. My '04 had the additive added to the original factory fluid, in '04. No problems so far.
Our trans are not the best Ford ever produced. The early years, 2000 to 2003 had some valve body issues. I understand they corrected this in '04.

it was a TSB rather than a recall,

TSB Number: 04B22
NHTSA Number: 10013306
TSB Date: May 27, 2005
Failing Component Power Train: Automatic Transmission
Summary: Improperly formulated transmission fluid that, over time, may cause delayed/harsh reverse engagements. Customer satisfaction program 04b22. 5r55s/e & 5r44e transmission fluid additive. *tt supplement #1. *tt supplement #2. *tt supp

my 2004 had the transmission fluid changed at 90k before I got it, then I changed the fluid and filter last year at 150k.
For my change, used Mobil 1 Synthetic, which is Mercon V formulation, and it's been shifting OK.

Did find one hint on Ford forums,
SSM (Special Service Message) 18208.
Mercon V will still be the fluid of choice but the packaging date must be AFTER May 10, 2004.
Mercon V was refomulated to meet the requirement of the later transmissions.

So as I read that, the special sauce additive was only needed for the original transmission fluid, new Mercon V will already have whatever's needed.

aha just found confirmation, Figuring Out the 5R55 Alphabet
The fluid problem in the 5R55E, W, S and N units was caused by a factory ATF fill using an early Mercon V, prior to May 2005. Ford released an interim additive package (4L2Z-19B546-AB, fluid XL-11 with bulletin FSA 04B22) to install into customer and new vehicle inventory. The final resolution was to use a revised Mercon V (XT-5-QM) in a black quart container. If a service is performed and any trace amounts of questionable fluid are not removed, the service life of the next solenoid could be reduced.

It always makes me nervous doing a transmission fluid change.. auto transmissions are a sort of magic black box and I've had worse shifting after a fluid change on some old cars..

Last edited:
ITs just a bottle of BS additive, any good new FORD fluid has it in it.... Maybe they used a crap fluid ?? Maybe wrong filter ?? 2wd and 4 are different...

A mechanic friend of mine found the following in there maintenance data-base.
And I am defiantly experiencing the hard shift from park to reverse. might be kinda rough from park to drive, but the shift to reverse is like a clutch drop.

"Customer satisfaction program 04B22."
Affected Vehicles
All 2004 and certain 2005 model year vehicles equipped with 5R55S, 5R55E or 5R44E transmissions and built between Job #1 2004 through September 22, 2004

Reason for the Program
The affected vehicles were originally filled with an improperly formulated transmission fluid that,
over time, may cause delayed/harsh reverse engagements.

Service Action
At no charge to the vehicle owner, dealer are to install one bottle of 5REES/E & 5R44E Transmission Fluid additive to each affected vehicle. This will correct the formulation of the transmission fluid and maintain the shift quality of the transmission.

Anyone have an idea where I can get this additive 18 years later ? Found a box of 12 on ebay, but I don't want to go there.

Thanks

it's not needed. The additive is already present in all modern Mercon-V transmission fluid.
If you're still running the original transmission fluid after 18 years then congratulations ! and it might be time to change it..