Hard time starting in the mornings.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alvaro Gomez

Reaction score
In the mornings or after I haven't started my 2002 Sport Trac for a while (8 or more hours), when I turn the key the engine doesn't turn. When I try it again a second time, it clicks really loud. When I turn the key a third time, it turns the engine and it starts up.

Any ideas?

What is bad, is it my:

-Battery

-Alternator

-Starter

I could give a bias answer, but I don't know the right answer. I would say the alternator, only because mine has gone out on me twice, and I'm just at 120k miles now.

try another battery if you have access to one and see if it does any better. If it does, then a new battery is needed. How old is the current one??

My guess would be the starter due to the clicking and it eventually starting. It sounds like the solenoid on the starter is going. Also try tilting the steering column and starting the truck, it might be the wiring harness in the column. Let us know what you find. :haveabeer::banana:

Hit your local branch of auto parts chain and have them test the battery and alt before you buy anything. They may even test started but that one I'm not sure about.

It's going to be one of 3 things. You either have a loose connection at the battery, a bad battery or something is draining the battery when the vehicle is off. If it was the alternator then the battery would be dead by now.

Clicking is a sign of weak battery or poor connection.

That said, you may have a defective diode in the alternator that is allowing the battery to drain during long sit times.

How to test that if you do not have the tools required is, drive it around for the day like normal, then when you park it for the night, remove one of the cables from the battery.

The next morning, put the cable on. If it starts right up, then it is either a bad connection which you may have corrected by simply removing and reinstalling the cable and or a bad alternator. Actually the alternator is good from the perspective that it will charge, but with a defective diode, the current it allowed to flow back-wards through the cables.

Now,,, if it still clicks and does not start, then you need to confirm the quality of the other connections first. Tap on the starter while someone is trying the key, if it goes, then it is probably the bendix or stator within the starter, in either case, simply replace it.

Last, could be a solenoid as it basically is nothing more than an opening and closing connection kind of thing. Tap on it, wiggle the wires, that kind of thing...

Clear as mud ???????

Coastiejoe is correct. I would first susptect the battery and have it tested to be sure it is good. I have had new batteries go bad in less than 8 months and got a free replacement.

If the battery is bad or is good but has a low charge you should have your alternator tested to insure it is working properly to charge your battery. If the battery and alternator checkout good then look to your battery cables and starter solenoid. Bad, loose or corroded battery cables will not let full battery power flow and you get similar siymptoms of a weak battery.

Starter solenoid is what you hear clicking. It uses low amperage power from the ignition/starter switch to activate a very large amperage power to engage the starter. The contacts within the solenoid can get burnt and not allow full power to the starter, so it clicks much like a weak battery

If you see a common thread here were everything appears to be a weak battery, ou are correct. My first suspicion is bad or weak battery or bad, loose or corroded battery terminals, as that is the most common problems related to starting issues.

...Rich

Latest posts