Hard Tonneau Cover Keys

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Gregg

Reaction score
Purchased a new '08 Sport Trac and added the Ford Hard Tonneua cover. Unfortunately they keys for the Tonneau cover differ from the vehicle. My old '01 were matched.

Does anyone know of an easy way to re key

<---------------Sponsors section.......... Ask mr LaRue

See link below

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I would like to get mine keyed the same. I also wonder if anyone has done the solenoid kit for the tailgate so it will lock/unlock with the doors? I know it has been done with the Gen 1 ST's

'07 ST

I'm going to try a local locksmith and see if they can re key the tonneau cover locks. I was unaware of the soleniod kit, but that does sound intersting.

I just bought a cover for my '07 that is missing the keys and am thinking of getting it rekeyed before I sell it. Decided to keep my Undercover. The factory cover is nice but I like the full cover and ease of removal from my undercover. Is it cheaper to recore the cover or have a key made?

I've done the solenoid kit on mine, and absolutely love it--but it's an '02. I definitely don't know how much difference there would be for the current tailgate design. But there is a project for it, with photos. If you look through those, and you also disassemble your tailgate, you might be able to tell if things are going to match up correctly for you to do it on yours or not, before you actually buy/order the parts. Project linked below...

There is a kit for the 07 and up tailgate. The only issue is in the Gen 1 tracs they had rubber grommets under each rear door jam that allowed you to pass the wires from inside to outside the trac. The gen2 tracs (07 +) you will need to drill a hole. I can post some pics if you need. Just drop me an email.

When I had my cover installed the Ford dealer took my keys and keyed the cover to my ignition keys......so I would blame the installer for not keying the cover to match.

Got a couple emails about this,, Soooooooo I'm going to look into what this untertaking would consist of. Cost,, labor,, parts........

Last edited by a moderator: