has anyone tried these?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a post about this couple of months ago, I believe. I cant find it, but as i remember, everyone said it is a scam and it doesnt work. Save your money

The electronic controls in modern cars regulate spark, injection timing and duration, valve timing in some, along with a host of other tweaks. They rely on and have access to many sensors in order to do this job. Coolant temperature, input air temperature, crank position, O2 exhaust levels and a host of others. The data received by this software is used to give a "normal" driving profile. What I mean by this it maintains pollution levels within specs, maintains a smooth idle, gives modest acceleration and fuel economy. Basically it generally a compromise. It can be tuned for performance at the expense of economy or pollution, or economy at the expense of performance. By modifying the software you can change rev and speed limits, change shift firmness, increase throttle response and a host of other items. A simple chip or resistor is not going to do much in any of these areas. A custom tune for your needs can be programmed and loaded into your vehicles ECU. The XCAL is one such device.

All the eBay chip does is fool the engine into running in choke mode all the time, i.e. a little bit richer. Doesn't add any power.

It will also run the engine richer when it does not need it thus it can wash out your rings, foul plugs and cause serious damage..

Todd Z