hauling a mountain bike?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H C

Reaction score
I read several posts about the different ways people are mounting bike racks on the their STs, and it made me wonder.....will a bike fit in the bed on the fork mount type racks without a bed extender? I'd take mine down to find out, but I'd have to remove the tonn. cover and it's like 10 degrees out and snowing....okay, maybe I'm lazy..haha..just curious.

Thanks!

:p

I guess it depends on where you mount the rack, and what size bike. I have the home-made 2x6 rack that I drop in, and a larger frame Trek. The rear wheel sits on the bed but extends a few inches past the opening at its widest point, where the gate would be if it were up. See the pics in my library.

I just use a ROC-2 carrier attached to my 2" hitch ... and the carrier fits under the cover for storage while riding if you don't have a lock for the hitch.

Hitch mount racks work well. You can also build a rack that mounts above the bed, as several of us have done. I built mine from various Thule parts.

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks for the info. I had seen the different ways everyone was mounting them (hitch, on top of the cover, etc), I was just curious if they would fit in the bed. I have a hitch mounted rack that I used with my previous vehicle, but I'd have to buy a hitch for the ST...or a bed extender, if it didn't fit....Thanks for all the responses!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't get mine to fit straight in the bed; just diagonal. With the front wheel off, you can get some MTN bikes straight in but would have to mount the fork rack high on the front of the bed. Road bikes have handlebar problems with the in bed on most. Hope that helps. I am a big fan of the hitch mount. They help on gas mileage a little bit. Mine allows you to still tow and use the hitch mount wich makes it really versatile.

Thanks, Matt. I think once the weather gets a little warmer here, I'll just have to take my bike out, and see if it'll fit or not.

Thanks again!:D