Hauling a queen size mattress w/ box spring?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Hedrick

Reaction score
Hey guys. Been a while since I posted here, but I need some advice. My mom recently got divorced, and as part of the process of moving into an apartment, she's tasked me with helping...I guess since I'm the only one she knows with a truck. Most of the stuff shouldn't be a problem. However, she's buying a new bed (queen) this weekend, and has asked me to haul it to her new apartment. I've never put anything that big in the bed of my ST. I was wondering if anyone here has done it, and if so, how'd you manage? Also, I need to know if there's any room for the box spring if the mattress happens to fit, or if I'll need to make another trip. If the ST's bed were wider, I wouldn't hesitate...but just with a cursory glance at everything, I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to do it.

Thanks for any advice...

Joey

WHen i moved, my fiance and I also had a queen and if fit just fine, just use some ratchet die-downs and your fine, did about 70 mph for about an hour and no probs

Sit it on top of the bed rails. Fits just fine. If you have a Tonneau cover...even better. If not, kust put the box spring down first, then the matress.

Use the outside tie downs and use a racheting binder and be done with it.

Tom

How strong are those outside tie-downs anyway? Are they more decorative or are they seriously strong - ratchetable strap level of strength?

Bob, I have had some pretty good pull on my tie downs. Hauled a HUGE amount of brush once. Took like 20 trips. Never had an issue. None of the tie downs ever got loose or anything like that.

Joey, the side tie-downs are very strong, I've used them many times for various loads. For the mattress, just open the tailgate, slide mattress in first, put box-spring on top of it, lean over to the side and strap them down nice and tight. Don't accelerate real hard and you will be fine. I did that last fall and had no problems at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget, if you move a small couch or the like, don't forget to remove the pillows and put them in the cab. I always see 1 or 2 a week on the highway from people who are moving who forgot to take them off the couch. :lol:

Depending upon how far you are hauling the mattress and box springs?? I purchased a new California King mattress and I just put it on top of my tonneau cover and tied it down with ratcheting straps. I had to drive about 10 miles to my house and hit a top speed of about 50 MPH with no problems.

...Rich

I think it says in the manual that the tiedows are rated to 800lbs each. They are seriously strong. Hauled queen mattresses before, it's no problem.

Thanks for all the replies. I have the factory tonneau cover, and I honestly hadn't even thought to put them on top of it. I guess I've got to decide whether to do that, or do what Bill-E suggested and open up the tailgate and just lean them over and strap 'em down tight. I guess I would feel a little more confident about them not sliding off the bed if I actually put them in the bed with the extender down, but I don't know if it would fit. Come to think of it, I don't think there's any way it could fit with the extender in place. I'm not too keen on taking it off, so I might as well just put them on top of the tonneau.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it the same way Bill did it and didn't have any problems. I was moving a King size bed and used the inside and outside tie downs, ratchet straps, and rope. Had to go about 10 miles and it was great. As long as you get them secured you won't have and problems.

George

If your mom is buying it new, why doesn't the store she bought it from deliver?? THAT would be MY first option. Otherwise, tie it securely on top of the tonneau. :)

Nelson,

Some stores charge for delivery (usually about $25- $50) and nearly all Furniture stores charge for delivery. Occasionally you will catch a special that offers free delivery, but even that's pretty rare.

And if you have to drive home, why not take the matress with you ? :D

...Rich

Yeah, I was going to ask her why she's not just having it delivered, then I realized she's getting it from Sam's Club. Good luck trying to get them to deliver :)

Put the mattress on top of the tonneau cover first then the box spring. We did it the other way and put a whole through the lining of the box spring and within minutes of setting it up the cats found a nice new hiding spot. :)

When we did it, we took the tonneau cover and bed extender off, opened the tailgate, and slid them in, hanging over the passenger side. (Use that side--if it overhangs the drivers side, there's a chance it could get hit by either oncoming or passing traffic.) We then used tie downs, as mentioned by others. Although I suspect it was overkill, we did have tiedowns wrapping not only over the side of the mattress, but also around the foot end of the mattress to keep it from sliding back.

Definitely use the bed, rather than the way I've seen some people try to tie them on top of the cab. They really get beaten up by the wind, and can act like a wing, really affecting your aerodynamics and traction.

Put it in the bed with he tailgate down is the best way.... Stand it on its side, or lay it down. i have moved King mattresses that way with no problem..

I know sleepys here gets almost 70 bucks to deliver....

Todd Z

I did it just fine with mine, once with out the camper shell - put the box springs in then the mattress, and the second time tied it on top of the camper shell -- just drove slow since it was only a short drive.

Latest posts