Have to buy new tires..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Ponder

Reaction score
Well, My Goodyear Wrangler RT/S set has 53,000 on them now, and although the tread is still within legal limits, (I think about 3-4/32) I am beginning to feel them slip, especially on wet or damp pavement. Even with 4WD, I am not wanting to worry about that this winter.

Ford dealership can get me a full new set of the OEM tires (as above) for $563.80, Mounted, balanced, and out the door.

Firestone quoted me $611.00 for a set of Firestone Destination tires. (Mt, Bl, & out the door)

Tires Plus was also close to this price.

NTB wants almost $800 for a set of Geolander HTS. and $764 for the oem Wranglers.

Checked Sams Club online, and they only showed 2 tires, both winter ones.

Need advice / options / Special deals that anyone might know about / etc..

255/70/16

Thanks All.

RT/S's are crap. Go with the Firestones or Bridgestones. I have 20k on my Destination A/T's and they look like new. Decent in snow, much better than the OE Goodyears that were toast in 25k.

IF I could find a way to ship my tires to you, i would give you my 265/70/16 Yoks at a heck of a deal !!

Sorry I know it doesn't help...

Todd Z

Dave,

Discount tire direct has free shipping and fair prices on tires. Plus they make deals with local installers that can mount and balance tires for about 9 bucks each.

Tom

Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct is the best option and usually Discount Tire has rebates going on

Usually NTB has a 4 for the price of 3 deal going on Yokohama's and other tires as I almost bought the AT/S tire they offer this summer but settled for the Pirelli Scorpion ATR. Keep shopping around but don't get Goodyear RT/S.

and to Chris: Both are a pretty good tire as I've driven on both although they weren't on Sport Trac's, obviously the tread and price is different but it all depends on what kind of stuff you need it for. If you're gonna be just on the highway going offroad maybe once a year I would go with the HT/S but if you are looking for aggression and some better traction then go with the AT/S but they are both a good tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my Michelins that I got at Sam's Club four years ago. They've only lost 2/32" of tread after 35,000 miles. They're the Sam's version of LTX's and are great on ice and snow and wet pavement. Crawled through 12" of snow in 4x4 last year without any slippage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford dealership can get me a full new set of the OEM tires (as above) for $563.80

Kidding right. The wrangler rts oems are crap when new. Dumped mine @ 7k when I went to 18" wheels. But I can buy the crappy things from my local discount tire store for, $424 out the door. Dont buy another set.

chris27. The yok-geo hts is a very good tire. I have ran several sets on other suv's. My brother has about 10k on his. On a jeep liberty. He saysthey are great. No personal experiance with snow though.

The yok-geo hts and the bfg long trail t/a. Are both very good for the $$. The one complaint for both is. They are both about 1" narrower tread (size for size) than other brands.

I also have the BFG long trails. Really nice tire. Very good and quit on dry, great in the snow. But, i must say a little squirlly on wet pavement. But, I am guessing the 4:10 posi in the rear doesnt help that much.....

BF Goodrich Long Trails are great. Also BFG All Terrains are a tough tire.

I agree on the Michelins. They are so well built that they took very little weight to balace them. Extremely smooth ride even above 70 mph. Great traction!

Im looking at new tires as well within the next few weeks. Im curently running yok-geo hts and got almost 60,000 miles out of them. Did have slight cupping the last few miles so I put them on the rear. No complaints about the hts, but reviews on line say they are not good in the snow. I only had one scare on ice but I do drive very cautiousaly. The yok geo ats do get good traction rating and Id like that for the snow. But Im concerened about the road noise and cupping.

UPDATE. I ended up buying the Firestone Destination LE's. Got a good deal on them, with Road hazzard and Lifetime balance, $552 out the door. Thanks Everyone!

Latest posts